Cichlids in ponds in coastal NC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know what your climate is exactly but africian cichlids for example do not like temps in the lower 70's. Ideally they prefer temps of about 78F. So if you expect the temps to go lower than 75 I would not keep them in an outside pond. Also they don't like temperature swings.

Also I know there are people farther south (in Houston or Miami) who keep cichlids in ponds but I have often wondered why. My cichlids are colorful and gorgeous -- when viewed from the side in an aquarium. When I put them in buckets to transfer to a new tank, they look rather bland from the top, even in the clear water of the white bucket. In a pond most of what you will see are their backbones through what may be less-than-clear water.

Thats what I figured but my future father in law has a TON of babies and new fish that he wants me to take and the only place I have left to set up a big enough tank is in my FROG and I worry about the heat during the summer. Hmmmmmm, looks like Im back to first base. Thanks for the help guys!

Beachbumin,

I have a thriving outdoor cichlid pond here in Houston and I love it. As far as what FishOCD says about wondering why, and thinking they would look bland, I can tell you that my fish look anything but bland, and as for visibility, anacharis and my canister filter keep the water plenty clear to see them. I can see the iridescent green body striping and orange fin outline of my green terror very well. The iridescent blue spots of the Texas cichlids show up very well against their light grey bodies. My severum's interesting body shape and personality come out very well in the pond. My wild-type sailfin mollies (native to my area) have gorgeous colors. Something about raising fish outdoors, maybe the live algae and insect larvae the fish get to feed on, makes their colors so much more intense, aquarium-dwelling fish are pale and insipid by comparison.

When I look at the fish swimming in my pond, they look natural, like fish you would expect to find in a freshwater pond in a tropical or subtropical location, not bright orange traffic-cone colored monstrosities bred to have fins that make them such awkward swimmers that they would be gobbled up in no time in nature.

South American cichlids don't jump out at the average casual passerby like koi and goldfish do - like when you are enjoying a wild pond in nature, you have to actually look at the pond, let your eyes adjust, and then you will see the fish.

That having been said, I don't know about keeping cichlids in a pond in North Carolina. I've never been there in the winter, but I imagine you would have to overwinter them inside, which might be a pain. Living in Houston, I have a subtropical climate. Houston stays warmer in winter than other parts of Texas like Dallas, and even Austin and San Antonio because of our proximity to the warm Gulf of Mexico. This last winter we had what qualifies as one of our colder winters, with some overnight freezes in the 20s, and my fish did fine. I put in a 400 watt aquarium heater and floated a blanket I made of 2-ply bubble wrap. It also helps that my pond is only about 3 feet from the wall of my garage (which is camoflaged with tropical plants and climbing vines).

If my description of having a more natural looking aquarium with fish that look natural rather than day-glo orange appeals to you, but you don't want the hassle of overwintering them indoors, I would recommend going with North Carolina native fishes. The best thing is you can get them for free with a dip net, a cast net, or a fishing pole with a barbless hook (check local regulations before doing this). I have decided that I will replace any attrition in my pond with local natives (except I haven't had to yet) like my sailfin mollies. The Texas cichlids are native to my state, but not necessarily to my area, though they have been introduced to my area and are doing quite well.

FishOCD said:
Also I know there are people farther south (in Houston or Miami) who keep cichlids in ponds but I have often wondered why. My cichlids are colorful and gorgeous -- when viewed from the side in an aquarium. When I put them in buckets to transfer to a new tank, they look rather bland from the top, even in the clear water of the white bucket. In a pond most of what you will see are their backbones through what may be less-than-clear water.

ive been thinking about cichlids for my pond and im in tampa, fl. where it RARELY freezes. i really love their colors and really dont want the average goldfish pond, altho, if i have too, i would have them. does anyone think that would be a problem??

Anything lower than 70 is a death sentence for most Cichlids. If you hit anywhere near freezing, goldfish are your best bet.

Back
Top Bottom