Cichlids or oscars? How do I not mess this up?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LydiaGreen

Aquarium Advice Regular
I tried cichlids once before... 4 of them (the smaller ones - labs I think) in my 20H... lots of plants and hiding places but one killed the other three. I gave the last one to my friend because I didn't want to have just one fish in a tank.

Anyway, I will have a cylced 44 bowfront in about a month or so (cycling a 55 for the goldfish). All that I will be putting in the 44 at this point is a sailfin pleco (adopted from my mother). I was thinking of trying cichlids again. The bowfront is more square and high - not at all long and maybe not suited for cichlids? Would they do better in a 40L? I have two empty 40L tanks sitting in my basement.

If I do try cichilds again, what combination should I use? I know I can't keep anything else with cichlids but cichlids and of the right species. Could I safely keep a school of six labs in a 40 or 44 with lots of plants and caves or would one try to kill the others again?

I really would like to try a pair of oscars but doubt that a 40 or 44 could house them to maturity.

Would the sailfin get along with either oscars or cichlids (he's about eight inces long right now)?

The labs should be fine together. When choosing cichlids you just need to research the types you find interesting. I ended up with a mix of peacocks and mbuna. Now most of these fish aren't supposed to go together but with care in choosing them and lots of hiding spaces and some overstocking, I have no vicious aggression yet. Granted it could occur but I keep a close eye on the situation. I also have clown loaches and cuckoo catfish with my cichlids. I'm not sure the sailfin would get along with oscars but think he should be fine with certain cichlids. Mbuna are more aggressive while peacocks are more peaceful.

One more question? What my only local store sells as Oscars, doesn't look like any other pics I've seen doing a google search. Well, they look the same but, not the same colouring. The ones that I can buy have no orange or red on them at all. All the pics I have seen of oscars show red or orange. Is it just because the ones in the store are juvies? Does the colouration show up as they mature? Or are these not oscars but something similar?

Oscars come in several colorations. There is the Tiger Oscar, Zebra Oscar, Albino Oscar, and Red Oscar. Do not purchase Oscars that look unnatural. The new "thing" with Oscars is injecting them with dye. IMO they are not attractive.

Also, if you do plan to go with African Cichlids, you'll need a 55 gal tank or larger. That could be the reason for the problem with your labs in the past. 20 gal is not enough space for them. They will become territorial and aggressive amongst each other.

It is likely that those oscars are still young. 1 adult oscar should be housed in at least a 75g so you shouldn't go with them IMO.
You say "cichlids" which there are MANY but I think you're really referring to african cichlids. If you want them then it is usually recommended a 55g minimum. However, yellow labs should be ok and would probably be fine in a 44 (I'm not sure on this though).
BTW in case you didn't know, those plecos can get to 14 inches (possibly larger), will produce lots of waste, and need a larger tank. :?

Thanks RoK - I know Grumpy and Ugh will need bigger tanks eventually. I had a 375 in the planning stages that Grumpy was going to graduate to (joining some smaller species of bichir) but, that's not going to work out now unfortunately. I'll keep my eyes open for used 120's or 200's in the want ads in the local cities (4 and a half hour drive away). I would still like a much larger tank I just don't want to buy new and certainly can't do my custom dreamtank. Don't worry - Grumpy is going into his sixth tank in three years in about a month (it's cycling). He and the goldfish keep growing and I keep buying tanks.

Back
Top Bottom