Cichlids or something else?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KRol

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys I am in need of some expert advice. After my last go around of being a newb to the hobby and not cycling my tank (lesson learned). I am in some need of advice. My wife and I are wanting to have some fish that are very colorful. I know some of the brightest are saltwater fish as for freshwater what are good options? Whats fairly easy to keep? Here is what I am working with minus the fish. 36gal Bowfront.

Attachments

• Tank.jpg
    Tank.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 157
Neon tetras guppies, Platys glofish endlers

That's a pretty good size to work with!

There are tons of striking fresh water fish!

Platy, guppy and molly are all colorful and hardy fish.

Gourami have many different colors. Dwarf gourami especially.They are a little more sensitive of a fish but adding them to an already cycled tank makes it a lot easier.

There are some great dwarf cichlids too. I don't know much about most of them but I do know rams are sensitive fish.

Cherry barbs are nice. Neons, cardinals and rummy nose tetras.

Though not overly colorful angels have a great look. Even a black and white angel has such a nice pattern it really is striking.

A pair of Bolivian rams will do well. They are fairly peaceful for cichlids so you can have tropical fish with them like platys and tetras

I wouldn't do rams for a starter in tanks

agreed no rams in a new tank. you could do kribs if u wanted to go the dwarf chiclid road. and maby add some chrry barbs as dithers??

I'm pretty sure bolivian ram cichlids are good with small fish like neon tetra or livebearers. They are truly beautiful and I'm getting them when I get my 40 gallon!

Their maximum size is about the size of a betta, so yeah they won't get much bigger than your other community fish but they stand out and they are very peaceful ^_^

Cardinal Tetra, Rummy Nose Tetras, Blood Fin Tetras, German Blue Rams, Platys, Guppies, Glow Fish, Julii Cory Cats, Dwarf Gourami, and especially Rainbow Fish!!

ForumRunner_20120629_204615.jpg

499578984_4f79c06051.jpg

1300258852_177863891_2-boesemani-rainbow-fish-home-breed-Mumbai.jpg

bloodfin-tetra.jpg

van
the second picture is a rainbow fish? I love the colors.

OK so it seems that cichlids are probably out. So what about 4-5 angel fish, a rainbow shark, and some ghost shrimp as cleanup crew. With the angels getting around 5 inches and the shark getting around 6 what would that leave some room for?

I believe the second pic is a boesmani rainbow ... Beautiful fish.
I'd say skip the rainbow shark ... Ditto for a redtail ... They become very territorially agressive as they mature and I personally recommend an 55gal and 75gal or up respectively.

jcolon said:
I believe the second pic is a boesmani rainbow ... Beautiful fish.
I'd say skip the rainbow shark ... Ditto for a redtail ... They become very territorially agressive as they mature and I personally recommend an 55gal and 75gal or up respectively.

Yes it is a bosemani rainbow I too love the colors!

I think 3 would add some nice color to your tank. They're also a great community fish.

the rainbow fish wont fit in a 36 gallon they like long swimming spaces. a 4 foot tank is best for them
Also, what is ACTUALLY in your tank? Without knowing i dont know how everyone has been giving segguestions

van
the second picture is a rainbow fish? I love the colors.

OK so it seems that cichlids are probably out. So what about 4-5 angel fish, a rainbow shark, and some ghost shrimp as cleanup crew. With the angels getting around 5 inches and the shark getting around 6 what would that leave some room for?

You tank isn't large enough for sharks, 50 gal min and bigger is better.

In a 36 I wouldn't suggest any more than 2 angels as well and that's pushing it.

Boesmani rainbows, the nice colorful blue and orange one above, are great fish but I don't think your tank is suitable either. They are schooling fish, grow rather large at about 4 inches in length and need a decent horizontal swimming space. As mentioned about 4 feet wide for a tank.

There are some smaller rainbows that would be more suitable for your tank but they aren't as brightly colored for the most part.

eta - I was also under the impression your tank is currently empty. If that's not the case than a lot of these suggestion may not work so if anything is in your tank it would be very helpful to know

Currently nothing's in the tank. Except for what decorations I have.

Personally I'd go with something like

1 angel
5 peppered corys
4 platy
5 rummy nose tetra

All of these will be fine together though I suggest getting the angel as small as you can.

I think this would be a good colorful setup.
6 Glow Fish
10 Cardinal Tetras
10 Rummy Nose Tetras
6 Blood Fin Tetras
2 German Blue Rams
1 Dwarf Gourami
6 Julii Cory Cats

But I wouldn't add the Cardinals, Rummy Nose Tetras, or GBRs until the tank is stable and established.

Back
Top Bottom