Cichlids tank size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lovecatfish

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi guys. I currently have a amazon fish themed tank that has fish requiring acidic waters/ soft waters however my tap water is of pH8. So I was thinking about converting it into an African chiclids tank. The LFS I go to has a 'sale' on them so I was thinking of chiclids. I have a 15long( 2ft by 1ft by 1ft) Sand substrate. The tap water GH and KH is 60ppm. Coral sand is not a problem as there are reefs around my area I can collect them from. The chiclids are juveniles about 1.5inches long. How quickly would they grow and are they even compatible in this size tank, tank is cycled. Thanks!

Sent from my LG-P880 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Are you saying you have a 15 gallon? You can put cichlids in a 15 gallon yea, but you will need a larger tank soon. They're aggressive fish who need a lot of hiding places. I would start more in the 40 gallon range, you'll be happier with the outcome

With a 15 gallon you could do a few shell dwellers but that's all I would put in it.

I was thinking maybe I'll go a few mbuna, and when they get bigger, I have a reason to upsize. Shell dwellers is a good idea though, thanks. If Iam able to provide hiding places(pots and rock formations) how many can I put in? Actually Iam not sure about the species in the holding tank since they mix the chiclids and sell them as chiclids. And the tank is too packed to keep track of any 1 fish. Would yellow labs and electric blues grow very fast? Iam 70% sure they have those.

Are you saying you have a 15 gallon? You can put cichlids in a 15 gallon yea, but you will need a larger tank soon. They're aggressive fish who need a lot of hiding places. I would start more in the 40 gallon range, you'll be happier with the outcome

15 gallon is definitely not realistic for mbuna. 55 would be the smallest i would suggest for mbuna unless dwarfs where i would suggest 30-40 for a small group. 15gallons is a good size for tanganyika shell dwellers, theyre awesome clevel little fish with lots of charater and just as importantly they will be happier fish in your tank and youll get more pleasure out of that!

Come to the website too if youre at your computer! http://www.aquariumadvice.com/

Last edited:
I was thinking maybe I'll go a few mbuna, and when they get bigger, I have a reason to upsize. Shell dwellers is a good idea though, thanks. If Iam able to provide hiding places(pots and rock formations) how many can I put in? Actually Iam not sure about the species in the holding tank since they mix the chiclids and sell them as chiclids. And the tank is too packed to keep track of any 1 fish. Would yellow labs and electric blues grow very fast? Iam 70% sure they have those.

Im 100% sure mbuna will not work in a 15. They can grow 6inchs long and 15 gallons is only aboit 12inchs in length. It wouldnt be fair imo and you want to give them a good home aswell and enjoy watching them.

Come and see the forum if you're at your computer.:) you can use your phone browser! http://www.aquariumadvice.com/

Last edited:
My 15gallon is 24inches. Lol anyway I solved my water problem. Well to reach the max size would take about 2 years or so? Thanks for all your help, I will use them for future tanks (if my parents will allow)

My 15gallon is 24inches. Lol anyway I solved my water problem. Well to reach the max size would take about 2 years or so? Thanks for all your help, I will use them for future tanks (if my parents will allow)

15 gallon is only big enough for fry and definitely not juvi fish.. Youre going to end up stunting them as there just isnt enough room. I have a benched 29g for fry. To be honest i wouldnt even put alot of the availible species of tetra in 15g. Rather a gloomy thought for your fish especially with fish like mbuna which really DO need the space. 15 gallons of water will foul very quickly indeed and mbuna are very messy fish. Do the right thing.

Come and see the forum if youre at your computer. :) http://www.aquariumadvice.com/ you can even use your browser!

Last edited:
Okay thanks. Why would rummy nose tetra not be okay in a 15 gal. I have to change the water every 3days now. Okay Africans are out of the question. Thanks :)

Okay thanks. Why would rummy nose tetra not be okay in a 15 gal. I have to change the water every 3days now. Okay Africans are out of the question. Thanks :)

A small group of rummies could probably work in a 15g. Africans arnt out of the question altogether, shell dwellers really are kool fish. For small fish their intelligent and their character makes them much more fun to watch than the tetra you mention in my opinion. Rummies are pretty tetra though.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/ you can even use your browser!:)

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice but I can't find them

That's a shellie huh? Looks cool, kinda pale looking though... which is the most colourful shellie?

Lamprologus seems more colourful. I'll check out my LFS for them tomorrow. Thanks!

Yea! That's what Iam looking for. This is for a 10gal, it'll work right? Would collected coral sand for the beach be recommended? Because I wouldn't want to dent my wallet another 10bucks buying more sand, since I live on an island, might as well get some coral sand right? Will that work? Thanks for the quick reply

No worries, you're lucky if you can get free coral sand. I can't guarantee it will be safe it's a risk if you are going to go with it make sure you wash it and stir it up over and over until the water runs clear.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'll try to get free sand, otherwise I'll collect. I don't want to pay another 20odd bucks for sand again haha.

Back
Top Bottom