Circulation pumps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tate

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Where do I put my circulation pumps in my tank?

I'm assuming you mean powerheads? If so, most folks tend to put them at the sides of the tank and direct the flow towards each other. If you have more than two, you may want to put a PH on the back of the tank. It all depends on tank size, flow rate wanted, and size of the PH etc.

Little flow rate and 90 gallon 3 phs

295 gph for 2 and the other 106

thats just over 7.7x turnover. id look into stronger powerheads if possible, thats not really enough flow to keep detritus suspended let alone sustain corals.

let alone sustain corals.

This is the Fowlr forum isn't it? :p

As for your pumps, I'd recommend a larger turn over, but the location of pumps is just as important.

The side glass is always popular, one blowing across the front glass and one blowing across the back glass will provide decent circulation.

Hope that kinda helps?

Yes it does greatly thanks! And I thought FOWLR was fish only with live rock???

How do I know if my phs are placed in the right spots like to force everything to the overflow?

Sent from my XT1058 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

This is my tank and I had them pointing at back glass and front glass but the one on the left was agitating the sand

Attachments

• 1389049231155.jpg
    1389049231155.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 67
I have that problem as well because I have really fine sand. I just moved mine up a little higher on the wall and that helped with the sand. I run 3 korralia 1150's on my 125g and that seems to do a good job on circulation

Like all the way on the top of the tank pointing where?

No I have them on opposite sides of the tank, 1 closer to the top so it agitate the surface and one about in the middle, both facing the front of the tank. Then the third is dead center on my back wall facing the front wall.

How does the water flow like that

Would it be good if one pH is on the left side of the tank facing the back glass and one on the right side facing the front

Would it be good if one pH is on the left side of the tank facing the back glass and one on the right side facing the front

Do what you need to do to get the flow you want. I would not however personally like to see PHs placed on front of the glass pane.

No left side as in side glass

I'm not sure why you would want your PHs pushing water against the depth of the tank. If these are your on PHs, I would rather face the PHs out pushing water along the longer side of the tank to create flow over the entire tank and not just back to front.

Back
Top Bottom