Classic stocking help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattyice91

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys,

I recently picked up a 40 gallon breeder my sunsun 304b canister is arriving in a couple days (thanks Amazon)

I currently have a 29 gallon bowfront with only 5 sterbai cories in it....I have been waiting for a new tank instead of restocking the old tank.

Now the real question, I'm having a hard time deciding the stocking once the tank in cycled.

I really like the electric blue acaras as well as angelfish so I'm trying to figure out what to stock around them plus the cories. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Look forward to any and all advice!

Blue Acaras and Angel fish would be compatible. However, in a tank that small, I would only have a pair of acaras, and no more than 3-4 angel fish. Neither are aggressive fish, but the acaras will vigorously defend their territory should they breed, so be sure to use plenty of plants, real or artificial, to provide screens for the angels to escape the acara's line of sight if necessary.

I understand it's a smaller sized tank sorry for being vague. I was thinking 2 angelfish, 1 electric blue acara (if they do well alone) and looking for stocking around them maybe tetras? Or would keyhole cichlids be ok?

I probably wouldn't do keyholes unless you upgrade to a larger tank. Angels, keyholes, and acaras are all relatively peaceful fish for cichlids, but they are still cichlids. Trying 3 species in a 40g may be too much. IMO, try one of the larger tetra species, like congos. You may be able to get by with a small group of 3 silver dollars, but they can get fairly large.

When I think about it, if I were stocking that tank, and wanted to keep the cories, plus the acara and angels, I would add a small school of 5-6 congo tetras, and 1 or 2 golden wonder killies, just because I like to see fish at all levels of the tank when possible, and the killies stay at the top. But, that's just me, and for some odd reason, I have a fondness for killies.

Back
Top Bottom