Clean up crew for 12 gallon nano cube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

misskeeter2766

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm doing some research on what cleanup crew I would like to get when my 12 gallon nanocube is finished cycling.

I have 20 pounds of live rock.. the tank has been running for 3 days... still in the beginning stages of the cycling process.. so I have some time.

Here's what I've come up with so far.
Nassarius snails, Trochus snails, and Cerith snails....

I need to know how many of these I need. Looks like I have a decent sandbed. I'd also like to get a shrimp. I like the look of the coral banded, but I'll do something else if it might be more helpful to my fish or corals. I also looked at the shrimp/goby relationship... but didn't know if it would be possible....

so... if you can answer....
1. how many of each snail do I need?
2. what else might be helpful that won't die if it falls over, or kill a snail for it's shell?
3. what would be the best shrimp?
4. what ammonia, nitrate, nitrite readings are best to start adding (SLOWLY) the cleanup crew? (I've seen some conflicting info here)

thanks in advance!
(oh... and I plan on adding a clownfish, a yellow watchman goby, and MAYBE something else... if the system can handle it... my corals with be easy, soft corals... and I have patience.. it will all be done very very slowly)

one more... slightly unrelated question....

Should I do water changes during cycling or not? I'm finding way too much conflicting info on this...

Don't do water changes while cycling. They don't do anything.

As for your CUC don't get a CBS (Coral Banded Shrimp) they are the bullies of the shrimp world. Something that will clean your fish is a cleaner shrimp. They are fantastic have lots of personality and clean things like ich off your fish. Also they won't fight other shrimp like the CBS would. So for 3 a Cleaner Shrimp is the best IMO.

For the snails about 10 of each. Good choices BTW. (y)

A regular crab won't kill a snail for it's shell or anything. Crabs such as Porcelian and Emeralds are good choices. As for when to add it I would only add it after your tank has cycled completely (Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0) but thats just MHO. :)

Don't do water changes while cycling. They don't do anything.

As for your CUC don't get a CBS (Coral Banded Shrimp) they are the bullies of the shrimp world. Something that will clean your fish is a cleaner shrimp. They are fantastic have lots of personality and clean things like ich off your fish. Also they won't fight other shrimp like the CBS would. So for 3 a Cleaner Shrimp is the best IMO.

For the snails about 10 of each. Good choices BTW. (y)

A regular crab won't kill a snail for it's shell or anything. Crabs such as Porcelian and Emeralds are good choices. As for when to add it I would only add it after your tank has cycled completely (Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0) but thats just MHO. :)

+1, Great advice

great. :)
My plan is to start with 2 of each snail and work up to what I need as I add more fish and corals. I would love an emerald crab... would it pick on my yellow watchman goby?

From experience, the emerald crabs really just graze on the rocks and go in and out of caves/holes in the live rock, and i've never had a single problem with my crabs and my fish or other inhabitants, and they aren't notorious for munching any other livestock. If you had to choose any crab out there, i would say your safest choice in terms of compatibility with your other livestock, would be the emerald crab.

Okay. Ammonia right now is at 1.0. It is the same as yesterday. Will it go even higher than this? Should it?

Not sure where you heard that a cleaner shrimp will eat Ich.
It is a GREAT choice for a shrimp tho and you can amaze your friends when it cleans your hand and cuticles when you put your hand in the tank.

For now just let the tank cycle. If you added a raw shrimp to start, you can now remove what's left.

Good luck, you are off to a good start. Have you decided on stocking yet (other than a cuc).?

I want to get a tank raised ocellaris clownfish, a yellow watchman goby and pistol shrimp (and pray they like each other lol) .. and that's all I've got. LOL.

might do a firefish at some point if the bioload can handle it... we shall see.. the clownfish and yellow watchman goby are my "must haves" lol

no raw shrimp.. I think the live rock die off will be enough.

Yup, those pistol shrimp are quite amazing. However, i've never seen or heard of that happening with a cleaner shrimp before lol. I had a tiger pistol shrimp and a cleaner for a good while and they never had any problems.

Something even worse than that is a Mantis Shrimp. With a pistol shrimp, humans would just feel something like a water jet.. but a Mantis Shrimp can actually sever your thumb from your hand. What fun! ;D

yeah... I hope I never have a mantis shrimp problem. I hear they are tough to find to get rid of

Tough to find, tough to get, though to decide what to do next. lol. ;) They're a beautiful animal though.
Random trivia: Mantis Shrimp have have one of the best eyesights in the world. :D They see you coming ;)

I'm not sure your sand bed is deep enough for a pistol shrimp. Mine (well the last time I saw it) was several inches long.

Back
Top Bottom