Clean up crew with shell dwellers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

matt869

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm going to be setting up a 60L shell dweller tank and was wondering what would be the best clean up crew for keeping the sand turned and general cleaning?

Once you get a group of them in there, they will start reproducing and you'll have plenty.

That's great thanks! I obviously don't want to be overrun by them, is there a way of slowing down their breeding. I know that over feeding can cause a bloom in numbers.
I don't have a dwarf puffer tank yet but I have a spare tank and thinking of getting some DP, are they suitable to feed to DP, if my numbers start to increase?

Your best clean up crew is is a syphon and a bucket.

Chances are the Shellies will kill/eat the snails, they defend their territory pretty viciously. You're better off just keeping the shellies in the tank, they dig plenty.

No, MTS are not suitable puffer food. However, there is always someone in need of them. You could list them for sale on aquabid or here on the classifieds when you have some extra.

Thanks, will have to invest in a siphon with a smaller end as not to suck up so much sand every time I have to clean the tank. That was the main problem I had using a siphon that's why I was looking for alternatives.

Your best clean up crew is is a syphon and a bucket.

Chances are the Shellies will kill/eat the snails, they defend their territory pretty viciously. You're better off just keeping the shellies in the tank, they dig plenty.

I've kept them with Lepidiolamprologus hecqui, Lamprologus ocellatus, and mutifasciatus and the population did just fine... you must have some mean ones! :cool:

I definitely agree that the shellies dig plenty.

Back
Top Bottom