Clean up crew?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarist27

Aquarium Advice Regular
My 10 gallon right now has:
1x Dwarf Gourami
2x Red minor Tetras
2x Longfin Zebra Danios
And a pretty decent sized mystery snail who has helped with The abundance of tiny little snails all over. My question is would I be okay adding a SAE to help with some of The brown algae that has recently sprung up?

Attachments

• image-2889067191.jpg
    image-2889067191.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 85
  • image-1553883674.jpg
    image-1553883674.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 86
Or possibly a crayfish as I saw they had some at the LFS I'm not sure on a breed and I tottaly forgot to take a picture of it but it looked more like a small lobster than a regular crayfish that I've seen before

SAE's need a much bigger tank. You could try otto's but it's not the best idea to buy a fish just because it can do a specific job. You should address the reason for the algea. There's always a reason for something being the way it is. How long has your tank been setup? How long are the lights left on during the day? Also, the plants closer to the front glass don't look like fully aquatic plants, the ones on the right side. They look like green sandy's. Sorry, but there's a small problem with your stocking:(

These???? The tank is a little over a month old (not including the cycle, which I did) it has fluorite substrate with gravel over it. I'm using 1x 15w T8 Coral life bulb and 1x f6 T5 fluorescent and I try to have it 10 on 14 off

Attachments

• image-1593789669.jpg
    image-1593789669.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 90
  • image-1890960873.jpg
    image-1890960873.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 75
  • image-1263196467.jpg
    image-1263196467.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 77
Aquarist27 said:
These???? The tank is a little over a month old (not including the cycle, which I did) it has fluorite substrate with gravel over it. I'm using 1x 15w T8 Coral life bulb and 1x f6 T5 fluorescent and I try to have it 10 on 14 off

Yeah, I don't think they are fully aquatic plants. Hopefully someone else will chime in. Because the tank is newly set up, the brown algea is probably diatoms. They are unsightly but go away in time. I also think that's too much light, but I'm not completely sure. Danios need bigger tanks and need to be in schools of at least 6 I believe.

Hey! I'm 'chiming' in! I'm not sure on the opinion of that the other plants not being completely aquatic, give me a pic of each and a discription including: species name (scientific and common if you can find them), store you purchased it at, EXACTLY how you purchased it (and I don't need to know how you paid for it or anything, just where you go it and which place in the store it was at and how the store was housing the plant(s) etc.), and how fast it grows.

As for the algae, a quick temporary controll for it can be wiping it off with a clean cloth or sponge, and you can continue this for as long as you would like, but finding the original reason for it and fixing it is a good idea ^^

I bought it from petco in a plastic tube packed with that gel at the bottom. It was all in one bunch obviously to fit in the tube. I can't remember the name that was on it at all though :/

I can tell you right now that that isn't an aquatic plant. The plants you buy in those tubes are ment for humid terrariums that hold reptiles and the such land creatures that live in aquatic environment. Take the plant out of the water NOW, it is probly already slowly rotting, decreasing the quality of your tank water. You can possibly keep it as an aquatic-ish plant with benifits to your aquarium if you set it up so that just the roots are under the water, if I were you, I might use a floating thing filled with pebbles to let it float in. But you can't really just put it in a pot. If all you have is a pot, put it near a heater(if possible) and get a gallon size ziplock Baggie, cut off the corners of the bag (not the end that opens) and heavily water the plant and then place the Baggie over it. I you want more instructions on the floating one, just ask.

Okay! I accidentally said land creatures that live in an aquatic environment! I meant a heavily humid environment!!! (now that makes more sense, huh?)

Pigmy corys as an algea eater? They only eat food off the substrate. Red cherry shrimp work as nice algea eaters, but they're sensitive to water levels

alia258 said:
Pigmy corys as an algea eater? They only eat food off the substrate. Red cherry shrimp work as nice algea eaters, but they're sensitive to water levels

Well the algae "should" disappear on its own if I keep the conditions good but as a clean up crew/just in general, how are pygmys?

And knowing this now I'll probably move The plant to a turtle habitat my brother has and I'll just find a replacment for the tank

Suggestions??

Oh hey that's great for the plant! I'm really sleepy though and I wanna sleep, imma be lazy and just explain it tomorrow, okay? ^^

alia258 said:
Oh hey that's great for the plant! I'm really sleepy though and I wanna sleep, imma be lazy and just explain it tomorrow, okay? ^^

Sounds great!

Petco actually does sell some fully aquatic plants in those tubes such as java fern. Can't help ID your plants though. :( How about some ghost shrimp for clean up? Small bio-load and they are work horses. They will keep your plants looking sharp...lol. :)

Can you remind me what I was gonna explain? I know I knew alot about whatever it was but I forgot what it was...haha yeah I'm forgetful sometimes ^^

Okay! Well in general corys just eat fresh food off the ground before it goes bad, they won't eat really old food. That's the gist of it ^^

Back
Top Bottom