cleaner shimp w/eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fluff

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, I have two cleaner shrimp in a tank to themselves and a few snails. That may seem odd except that it was my seahorse tank and the horses have passed on and I'm still debating rather to tear down the tank or not. Anyway... today I notice that one of the shrimp is holding eggs. Any advice on what I should do? I will cover the intake with stocking but, what are the odds of any of them actually surviving? Any help is appreciated. Thanks all.

My cleaner is packing too. I can't wait to read the responses. Right now "she"s in my main so the likelihood of survival is nil, but if there was a chance I'd mover her to my 15g QT with a pet rock and see how she gets on!

ive read somewhere that the larvae are real sensitive to ph and temp changes...it also helps if no other fish are in the tank, because they will definitly have a tasty snack :(

There is not much you can do unfortunately. They are extremely difficult if not impossible for a hobbyist to raise. I read awhile back that an aquarium or lab had successfully bred cleaner shrimp (lysmata). They are a good food source for fish and some corals though.
Take a look at this (4thparagraph)

http://www2.hawaii.edu/~delbeek/delb9.html

My cleaners give birth every two weeks. There is nothing I can do, but to switch off the filter and skimmer and the fish have a good meal.

Oh well. Since they are in a tank to themselves, I'll let it ride. Still undecided what I want to do with the tank anyway. This is just an excuse to keep it running a while longer. Thanks to everyone for your responses.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom