Cleaning an electric blue lobster?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Msowers321

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 10 gal tank that I had some black swordtails and a few black skirt tetras in along with an electric blue lobster. The fish all came down with a bacterial infection which I think was transferred from my 75 gal cichlid tank. I moved the tetras to the 10 gal and the infection showed up a few days later in the cichlid tank. The cichlids were medicated and are all healthy now, but of course it reared its head again about 9 days later in the 10 gal. Even with tedious water changes and continuously medicating, the swordtails and the tetras lost the battle. The blue lobster seems to have been unaffected by the whole ordeal. I want to completely break down the tank and clean it completely (with vinegar). My question is is there any treatment that I could do to the lobster to rid him from carrying any more of this potential infection so that I could put him back in the tank and start over? He's been surprisingly non aggressive with the swordtails so I would like to add some more in the tank. I just don't want to put them in there doomed to get sick. Any recommendations?

I'd just run a half dose of meds on him for three days-remember no copper- and put him in a 5gal bucket. I'd change out the water every day for the first week, then three times a week until the 10gal is ready. Break the 10gal down clean with viniger and allow to dry. I would rinse it a time or two after that and allow it to dry prior to setting it up. Over kill but effective.

Back
Top Bottom