Cleaning gravel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmcbubbles

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This may seem like a stupid question, but I'm obviously new to all this, and was just wondering what is the best way to clean gravel? I feed my fish flake food and a lot of it sinks down to the bottom and they don't eat it once it lands on the gravel. I'm only now finding out about cycling the tank fully as my neon tetras are having ammonia problems, so just realising that leaving the flakes there is very bad (I've only had them 5 days don't judge me!), and it just seems to me that it'd be very awkward to clean it - whats the best way to go about it??

You'll need to siphon uneaten food with some flexible plastic tubing. It takes a little touch and practice to get the hang of picking up organic debris while avoiding taking up gravel.

If your ammonia is spiking, doing daily 50% pwcs will help reduce the toxicity.

If a lot of food reaches the bottom, you are feeding too much. You will always have to vacuum the gravel but a lot of food on the bottom, especially in a new tank like yours, is trouble.

Healthy fish always look hungry. Don't fall for it. If you enjoy feeding them, and we all do, make sure nothing makes it to the bottom and that everything is eaten quickly. Don't feed your top feeders with the intent of having extra food sink and reach your catfish. They'll find stuff to eat or you can get food specifically for them.

Look at these products:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=3898&N=2004+113164

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=12752&N=2004+113164

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=12753&N=2004+113164

Good Luck,
Eric

Thanks for the responses guys. That's great, I didn't realise you can just vacuum it up. There isn't a huge amount of food down there, but I am having ammonia problems so don't want to add to it. Eric, thanks for the links but I'd rather not wait to have something delivered, I assume I can buy a gravel cleaner in any lfs?

And you're right about wanting to feed them, I love doing it, and when they see me coming in the evening they all get excited, I love it! But I didn't realise that they can go a while without food, so I'll defo cut down on the feeding if they're not eating it all. I only have a few neon tetras at the moment so don't have to worry about different level feeders getting fed, which is nice.

welcome to AA. Well as a newbee myself I found that this book helped ma along allot The simple guide to freshwater aquariums. You can check out the reviews in the product & retailor reveiws at the top of the page. When I got this book I took his advice and fed 1 flake per fish. Also when you finish your cycle it would probably be a good idea to add some bottom feeders like cory cats or a pleco just make sure if you get a pleco don't get one that will be to big for your tank I like the clown plecos personally but you may like others like the bristlnose pleco. Well good luck and remember the only stupid question is the one thats not asked. Good luck.

jmcbubbles said:
Thanks for the responses guys. That's great, I didn't realise you can just vacuum it up. There isn't a huge amount of food down there, but I am having ammonia problems so don't want to add to it. Eric, thanks for the links but I'd rather not wait to have something delivered, I assume I can buy a gravel cleaner in any lfs?

And you're right about wanting to feed them, I love doing it, and when they see me coming in the evening they all get excited, I love it! But I didn't realise that they can go a while without food, so I'll defo cut down on the feeding if they're not eating it all. I only have a few neon tetras at the moment so don't have to worry about different level feeders getting fed, which is nice.

I didn't realize you were "across the pond" when I posted. Just use the links as examples of what is available. Two are syphon, one is electric. I've seen air powered also. I'm sure you can find something close by and as a previous poster suggested, a simple hose and a steady hand works , too.

PS-For my daughter's HS graduation, she wants to go to Ireland. Maybe we'll see you! :D

Take Care,
Eric

Eric, your daughter has great taste in places to visit!

Thanks again guys. I'm heading straight to the lfs after work so hopefully will find something that'll do the trick :D

And Brant, thanks for the reading tip, I do have an aquarium book at home (can't remember name) but will definitely check out your one too, I don't think mine is the best I could have gotten. It was definitely the most expensive one and according to the lfs, the best one - more fool me for believing them!

I just purchased a Python gravel vac and it works great ! It is also makes partial water changes a breeze.

Back
Top Bottom