Cleaning the Python No Spill....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andrewz00

Aquarium Advice FINatic
has anyone come up with any creative solutions to cleaning out the inside of these things? i have the 20 foot one... and every few months i notice what looks like mold developing on the inside of the tube.... ive been soaking it in a bucket of an oxyclean mixture for 2 days.... (hope that doesn't make me crazy)...

i would much rather just use some type of a brush... i just dont have one 25 feet long laying around..

You could try using string ties to a thin cloth or a bunch of paper towels and pull it through. How safe is oxyclean for an aquarium?

im thinking that oxyclean is a very bad idea... i wont use anything that has ever come in contact with any cleaning agent in my tank. The best way to store them is to drain them first, and leave them open on both ends so that air can get out. Mine dries out within a day of using it, then i just run hot water through it for a few before using it again

You could try using string ties to a thin cloth or a bunch of paper towels and pull it through. How safe is oxyclean for an aquarium?

dont worry it gets a very good rinsing with very hot water a few times after its been soaked...

im thinking that oxyclean is a very bad idea... i wont use anything that has ever come in contact with any cleaning agent in my tank. The best way to store them is to drain them first, and leave them open on both ends so that air can get out. Mine dries out within a day of using it, then i just run hot water through it for a few before using it again

i do the same.. its always left open... but water just collects and sits in the coils... ive heard of people setting up an extra air pump to run air through it...?

you can use bleach. flush it out then run some extra declored water in it also.

really not sure about oxyclean never used it.

+1 on the bleach suggestion. I don't think I'd trust anything other than bleach or vinegar for my aquarium stuff.

Any idea why you get mold in the tubing? I'm not OCD about getting all the water out of my python and I've never had any mold issues.

+1 on the bleach suggestion. I don't think I'd trust anything other than bleach or vinegar for my aquarium stuff.

Any idea why you get mold in the tubing? I'm not OCD about getting all the water out of my python and I've never had any mold issues.

not a clue... i figured that its just from water sitting in it.... after its used.. i try to get out as much water as i can... but as it sits coiled, the water pools...

how often are you using the python? seems like if you use it every week for your pwc, then you would see mold every week, not just every couple months...

Back
Top Bottom