Clear RCS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rcsguy

Aquarium Advice Activist
In my RCS tank, the majority of the newest generation are clear. Some are red, and some even brownish. Substrate is black, I do water changes. What should I do? Nobody will buy these clear shrimp, and I'm not such a fan of them either.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You'll need to cull out the undesired ones otherwise they will pass their genetics on. I go through my shrimp tanks every month or two to cull out they ones that aren't colored nicely.

You'll need to cull out the undesired ones otherwise they will pass their genetics on. I go through my shrimp tanks every month or two to cull out they ones that aren't colored nicely.

What should I do with the culled? I know it sounds bad, but should I put them in my main tank? They'll be eaten there.

That is one option that I'm sure your fish won't mind. Otherwise you could set up a second shrimp tank to put them in. They are still useful as a cleanup crew for planted tanks.

There's no harm in it, mine have reverted away from their red color. But if you are wanting they high quality red color then you need to do as mentioned and "remove" the undesirable ones whether it be culling or adding to a different tank.

Back
Top Bottom