Clear water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vaquero

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so I never believed the words I read about UV Sterilizers. I thought oh ya sure. So I purchased one off of Ebay for under $30 and got it on Thursday. On friday I did my usual water changes and then put it into my 25 gallon tank and forgot about it. Several hours later I happened to look at the tank, and WOW was I surprised. As of this posting my water is so clear if it wasn't for the fish swimming and the filter going, I'd swear the tank was empty. You can see everything clear as day. I WILL be buying more for my other tanks and if you are doubtful about their functionality and claims..Believe it! Just had to let you all know my experience.

I used it in conjunction with two HOB filters as well. I just put it in my 55 and I'm going to see how long before the water in the 25 goes back to the original water clarity.

This may be a uneducated question but what exactly does a uv sterilizer do an how does it make your water clearer.

A UV sterilizer works by water passing at a slow rate (each UV brand has a max flow rate for their unit) through a sleeve in which the UV light kills whatever is in the water. So it kills any bacteria, algae spores, etc., that passes through it which in the case of cloudy water caused by bacterial blooms renders the water crystal clear after killing all the bacteria that caused the cloudiness. If a UV is properly sized for the tank, is passing the water through at a rate no higher than the max flow specified, and is maintained properly its a very useful piece of aquarium equipment.

yes 24/7 is the way to use them. The bulbs will last up to 8000 hours.It is still dark here and I have not turned the tank lights on yet, but when i do i am looking forward to a crystal clear 55 gallon tank. And the price on the link is the best i could find. someone else is asking over 40 for the same one.

A UV sterilizer works by water passing at a slow rate (each UV brand has a max flow rate for their unit) through a sleeve in which the UV light kills whatever is in the water. So it kills any bacteria, algae spores, etc., that passes through it which in the case of cloudy water caused by bacterial blooms renders the water crystal clear after killing all the bacteria that caused the cloudiness. If a UV is properly sized for the tank, is passing the water through at a rate no higher than the max flow specified, and is maintained properly its a very useful piece of aquarium equipment.

I've never heard of these before. It won't kill off all the BB?

BB colonize on surfaces so it shouldn't effect your Bb at all. There are bacteria in the water column, but not much

BB is attached to surfaces, the most on surfaces where there is water movement, like your filter. BB which is autotrophic isn't found in the aquarium water but on surfaces, where on the other hand heterotrophic bacteria, which causes bacterial blooms in tanks, is found in the water column as it multiplies very quickly and doesn't attach to surfaces easily. So since this heterotrophic bacteria is in the water, which can pass through the UV unit and be killed, is why UV can work on it. On the other hand your good beneficial bacteria is attached to surfaces and not floating around in the water so it can't pass through the UV unit and be killed. Hope this makes sense as it's as simple an explaination as I can give.

I knew that a lot of it is on your sponge in the filter but I also thought there was some in the water itself.

So is there still enough BB in the tank? I know with a conventional filter like half you BB is in the filter media?

Like rivercats said, basically the lions share of bb is in your filter media because there's more water circulation there. B.B. are aerobic bacteria, meaning they use oxygen. The more oxygen the more they thrive if they have a food source.
This is why wet-dry trickle filters are so good at what they do. The bacteria that live in them have a constant supply of oxygen saturated water.

So, does that mean that I should use a HOB uv filter, or a canister uv, or a uv and HOB together?

You don't need a UV it's just an available tool you can use. I can tell you if you get one don't get one of those HOB filters with UV, they IMO are a waste of money. There are some decent in tank models but they are kind of ugly and in the way. There are in-line and hang on the back models, and a few others. All have their plus and minuses. Just reseach any ones you are interested in and see if you can find any customer reviews on them to see what other people think of them.

On my tank I have a TopFin 30 and was going to add a TopFin 40 as a second filter. Well now that I see this, could I just buy this and use it for the same purpose?

Back
Top Bottom