Closed loop systems?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

runway1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What are the advantages of these? Disadvantages? Does anybody have a good link to drawings, schematics of various approaches?

Lastly, you still run a sump right? TIA.

I have a closed loop system and also a sump. The sump uses a Iwaki 70rtl and the loop has a mag 36. Advantage is nothing in the tank at all to clutter it up. Disadvantage is it is not as easy as throwing a powerhead in. Just some extra plumbing.

The advantage of a closed loop is that its a good way to provide extra flow in the tank by the use of an external pump. The closed loop is setup with supply lines from the tank well below the water line and the supply line runs into the intake of the pump and then the outlet from the pump runs directly back into the tank to provide water movement. The difference between a closed loop and a sump setup is that the closed loop is just as its named. Its a totally closed system where as the sump would be an open system where you can add and remove water. In the closed system everything is enclosed in plumbing with no real access to add/remove water from the system.

Disadvantage is that you need to have bulkheads installed in your tank to permit the supply and return lines as you cant really use a hang on overflow for a closed loop as the potental for introducting air into the closed loop.

I just use a HOB refugium a SeaClone protien skimmer and 2 rio powerheads for equipment not really that much clutter. Its been working for me.

One added drawback is the potential of increased space needed between the tank and the wall, depending on how you do your plumbing. Other than that, everything else is pretty much covered. I would do it myself if I could drill my tank... but I'm too chicken. :oops:

I have seen the closed loop plans you linked above. It looks like it will work thanks to the primeing plug at the top wher you fill the plumping with water initally from there before caping it. With the closed loop designed that way it is imperitive that the intake have its holes well below the water line so as to keep air from finding its away into the closed loop as it can end up breaking the syphon action and thus causing the closed loop to stop flowing water.

Back
Top Bottom