cloudy water and can't figure out why

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missgingersnap

Aquarium Advice Activist
My 10 gallon tank is cycled....been a couple months now. A few days ago the water got a bit murky looking. Water params are where they should be, no new fish, decorations or substrate. I vacume and change 25-50% water each week. I have 3 cory cats and a betta fish in there. I can't think of anything i did differently. What the heck could this be from?

Is the temp ok? When my heater broke and the tank got hot the water turned into milk colour. Thats the only thing I can think of.

It`s right about 80 degrees....been that way for a while. It`s not terrible, it`s just not crystal clear like it was. It`s weird!

If your cycling it it should be cloudy. Also turn the heat to 76, just see if thats whats going on. Is your filter cartrage full? Could be a bunch of things I guess. As long as the water params are ok and nothings dead in there it's probably fine. Sometimes crystal clear water has things wrong with it.

Next time you do a water change, empty some tank water into a white bucket.

If it looks green, you have an algae bloom rather than cloudy water.

How long do you leave you lights on per day?

I had the same problem on my 16 G.
When i put some in a bowl, it was white not green.
I tried many WC's, didn't change.
On another board someone suggested maybe Euglena
and do a blackout for 5 days.
I did and it worked.
I still have occasional problems with that tank. It's 16 gallon on a 10 gallon footprint so it's rather tall. I also have flourite in that tank which may be the culprit.
It usually clears in a couple of days.
Charles

Well, it cleared up on it's own. I guess it was just one of those flukey things. Thanks everyone.
I did cut down on feeding a bit too.

Back
Top Bottom