Cloudy water cant shake it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just made the change. :). It took about 3 hours and it looks great. I picked up two 50lb bags of PFS ($12.99 each), but ended up only needing one.

After I picked up the sand I ran by Walmart and grabbed a new dust pan (I'm sure the old one has touched some nasty stuff) and a couple new buckets. I filled the buckets about half full with the PFS, stuck the garden hose under them and ran it for about 15-20 mins churning it up with my hand occasionally until it ran clear.

I'll tell you one thing...underneath the gravel is NASTY! I removed about 25% of the water and scooped up the old substrate with the dust pan. I can't believe none of the fish dropped dead from stress...because the water was absolutely disgusting. I had to do a couple pwc's during the process just so the water wasn't complete murk. I actually lowered the canister output way down and ran the filter during the entire removal to try and remove some of the gunk. Then I just took a plastic cup and slowly lowered down the PFS...it worked perfectly. One thing great about the PFS is that its larger grains which immediately sunk to the bottom and stayed there. I actually kept the filter running except for the times I was filling the area around the intake with sand.

I kept the fish in during the process because it would have taken longer for me to net all the little guys than the whole changing to sand process would have taken. They were hating life...but all seem back to normal now. The Corys absolutely love the sand.

Right now the tank is virtually algae free. The sand is obviously clean, and I pulled out the DW and gave it a hard scrubbing with the algae sponge and a few drops of h2o2. I do wonder if all the organics and nastiness under the gravel was related to the algae. I guess a ton of crap (literally) gets between the crevices and I'm sure adds lots of things to the water the algae may have been feeding on.

I'm sure I'll mini-cycle like crazy since all the substrate was changed, the big DW was scrubbed and I gave the canister a thorough cleaning. Luckily I've got the API kit, Python and Prime on standby. It'll actually be a good experiment to see how much BB is in the substrate and decorations based on how much the toxins spike...if at all.

I'll post a pic when it settles out a bit more...it's definitely still cloudy but clearing up fast.

When the dust settles..I may actually be 100% satisfied with the tank...for about 5 minutes :)

Last edited:
Haha don't tell lies 4 mins tops now I really want to change my substrate but I am scared I got about 60 fish that would like it but I am gonna do it anyway picking up pfs tomorrow

Well I found a great deal on pfs 8.50 per 50 lbs so I got my project for tomorrow plus I got a new fluval 305 so I will run that plus my 405 plus a big uv sterilizer that turns over more water then the 305 now I just have to wait for my driftwood to sink and I should be happy for a while

Stuff to keep me busy till my 3 build t5 with moon light LEDs come in yeeeeehaaaa

I can only see one improvement in the future and that's pressurized c02

Okay, mark this day on your calendar. At this particular moment I am (almost) 100% satisfied with my tank. There is not a spot of algae to be seen (nearly), I'm in love with the PFS, the fish are diggin it and the water is relatively clear. I'm sure I'll find changes I want to make in the next couple days...but for now I'm happy. :)

Attachments

• New Sand in Tank 010.jpg
    New Sand in Tank 010.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 58
Okay, mark this day on your calendar. At this particular moment I am (almost) 100% satisfied with my tank. There is not a spot of algae to be seen (nearly), I'm in love with the PFS, the fish are diggin it and the water is relatively clear. I'm sure I'll find changes I want to make in the next couple days...but for now I'm happy. :)

Woah that is very nice Eco! Great job! (y)

And, um, "relatively" clear? I can practically see myself in that pic! lol My water isn't as clear as I'd like but I think (hope) it's b/c I have the water level too low; hopefully when I raise it for fish all the little bubbles from the filter won't form and make it look cloudy (I might try some of that filter floss too).

I know how you feel about the OCD thing; I'm never satisfied with anything for very long. I'm trying to get the tank as perfect as I can though so I don't keep changing it when I get fish and stress them out. :D

Love the tank!!

eco23 said:

I'm lovin your plants! Tank looks REAL nice too! :)

Nice job buddy. I love the PFS. It looks awesome. Enjoy it.... Relax and think about nothing for a few hours. Good job my friend. If that isn't clear than clear doesn't exist.

Thanks guys :).

It's a pain in the butt switching substrates...but I think it was worth it. There was so much organic debris that had worked it's way through the gravel that I'd bet anything it was a huge contributing factor in the algae. I love how any food or poo sits right on the surface of the sand and there's no cracks to fall through. Super easy to clean too.

Can't wait to see how Ryan's turned out. :)

I am rinsing sand right now and holy cow that stuff is dirty i am getting ready to take off the canopy start uprooting and get that gravel out but I am nervous as heck I am shaking I bought a new dust pan too hopefully it makes life a little eaiser

I will update in a few hours cause I am sure it will take at least that

ryan-peddle said:
I am rinsing sand right now and holy cow that stuff is dirty i am getting ready to take off the canopy start uprooting and get that gravel out but I am nervous as heck I am shaking I bought a new dust pan too hopefully it makes life a little eaiser

I will update in a few hours cause I am sure it will take at least that

Hey I just had an idea. What if you took a big plastic cup like the super big gulps come in, heat up an old fork and put a bunch of holes in the bottom. Then you would have a scoop and a colander in one. Scoop and drain, dump and repeat... IDK?? seems like a good idea

I wish I had of read this before but I got it all in now and I don't think i rinsed enough but I saved about 30 gallons so I am gonna drain the rest put the 30 back in and and top off

ryan-peddle said:
I wish I had of read this before but I got it all in now and I don't think i rinsed enough but I saved about 30 gallons so I am gonna drain the rest put the 30 back in and and top off

You mean reuse the water you had taken out? The thought of water conservation didn't cross my mind, I was focused on getting it done and getting my fish out of the murky brown swamp they were swimming in during the change, lol.

Putting the sand in was a piece of cake for me, I just lowered it down in a cup and it settled...taking the old gravel out was a (insert random expletive here :) ).

And I used Deckape's method of the cup with holes when I partially switched out my gravel for river rock and it worked great. In this case the dustpan was the fastest...I was trying to make it quick, but the cup works great for removing gravel without bringing the water with you.

eco23 said:
You mean reuse the water you had taken out? The thought of water conservation didn't cross my mind, I was focused on getting it done and getting my fish out of the murky brown swamp they were swimming in during the change, lol.

Putting the sand in was a piece of cake for me, I just lowered it down in a cup and it settled...taking the old gravel out was a (insert random expletive here :) ).

And I used Deckape's method of the cup with holes when I partially switched out my gravel for river rock and it worked great. In this case the dustpan was the fastest...I was trying to make it quick, but the cup works great for removing gravel without bringing the water with you.

See I am always a day late and a dollar short. I thought I had an original. Good luck. I will be changing substrates one day.

Deckape said:
See I am always a day late and a dollar short. I thought I had an original. Good luck. I will be changing substrates one day.

Great minds think alike...just at different times I guess, lol. Let me know when you plan on making the switch...I'll drive down there and lend a hand. It's definitely helpful to have an extra hand / someone to curse at the tank with you / beer drinking partner during the process ;)

This is for Eco: you said you picked up 2 50lb bags of pfs, you better save it! If your like me once I set up my 75g with it I liked it so much I've converted all my tanks over to pfs except for my 55g which I'm going to do next once I figure out what I want to put in it! Lol! Jmo :) what's really funny is where I live I had to go to a specialty pool store to get it I paid about $15 each for 50lb bag btw, but when I told them what I wanted it for they all looked at me like I was crazy! Lol! Apparently no one here has gone there to buy any for their aquariums!

Tigroscr said:
This is for Eco: you said you picked up 2 50lb bags of pfs, you better save it! If your like me once I set up my 75g with it I liked it so much I've converted all my tanks over to pfs except for my 55g which I'm going to do next once I figure out what I want to put in it! Lol! Jmo :) what's really funny is where I live I had to go to a specialty pool store to get it I paid about $15 each for 50lb bag btw, but when I told them what I wanted it for they all looked at me like I was crazy! Lol! Apparently no one here has gone there to buy any for their aquariums!

Good idea. I'll probably hang on to it simply cause I'll inevitably end up sucking some of it down the drain with the water changer and need to replace some. Luckily the only other tank I have up and running at the moment is my Fluval Chi. I guess it'd be easy enough to change that over...but my girl might kill me if she sees me messing with anything else for the next week, lol.

What's funny is when I picked up the PFS I was reading all the fine print on the bag to make sure it was good...the guy asked what I was looking for and I told him I wanted to make sure it was non-toxic since I was using it for an aquarium. He said he used it for his own tank. When I asked about his fish...he stared at the ceiling for like 30 seconds then said..."umm, they're either Guppys or Oscars...I can't remember." hahaha! There was not much conversation about fish after that :)

Ok tank is filled back up and running but it's horribly cloudy I am gonna wait a few hours to move my fish back then post a picture but I love to look thus far it really makes the green plants pop I think the fish will look better too just have to do my OCD testing for the next two weeks not that much but at least 4 a day lol

ryan-peddle said:
Ok tank is filled back up and running but it's horribly cloudy I am gonna wait a few hours to move my fish back then post a picture but I love to look thus far it really makes the green plants pop I think the fish will look better too just have to do my OCD testing for the next two weeks not that much but at least 4 a day lol

Awesome...can't wait for pics :). Was it as nasty under your gravel as it was in mine?

Really gross I was glad I took my fish out but I am not putting them back tonight it is unreal cloudy I spent almost 1.5 hours rinsing that one bag and it doesn't look like I even touched it

eco23 said:
Good idea. I'll probably hang on to it simply cause I'll inevitably end up sucking some of it down the drain with the water changer and need to replace some. Luckily the only other tank I have up and running at the moment is my Fluval Chi. I guess it'd be easy enough to change that over...but my girl might kill me if she sees me messing with anything else for the next week, lol.

What's funny is when I picked up the PFS I was reading all the fine print on the bag to make sure it was good...the guy asked what I was looking for and I told him I wanted to make sure it was non-toxic since I was using it for an aquarium. He said he used it for his own tank. When I asked about his fish...he stared at the ceiling for like 30 seconds then said..."umm, they're either Guppys or Oscars...I can't remember." hahaha! There was not much conversation about fish after that :)

Lol! I know! Sometimes I think honestly my husband wants to have me committed! I'm always messing with one of my tanks pretty much every night! But I enjoy it and find it quite relaxing even though since I converted over all my tanks in the past month to pfs I find I'm even more anal and vacuuming and doing more pwc's because I don't like seeing the fish poo on the bottom, lol! But he has his golf and it's a pretty expensive hobby so he has no room to talk! That's funny, guppies or Oscars what a riot! Lmao! :)

Back
Top Bottom