Cloudy Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Matina

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55 gal tank and my water is cloudy. Per the local fish store i needed to do a partial water change (20% min-40%max). I did that and the water is still cloudy. My water parameters are: ammonia 0, Nitrate 40, Nitrite 1.0, water is hard (i live in the country and have well water), chlorine is 0 (well water), alkalinity 40 and ph is 6.2. Now i have another tank that is 29 gallon tank and the parameters on that one is ammonia 0, nitrate 40, nitrite 1.0, hard water, chlorine is 0, alkalinity is 80, and ph is 7.2 and this 29 gallon tank is as clear as a bell. what do i need to do to the larger tank to clear up the water? any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks

I have a 55 gal tank and my water is cloudy. Per the local fish store i needed to do a partial water change (20% min-40%max). I did that and the water is still cloudy. My water parameters are: ammonia 0, Nitrate 40, Nitrite 1.0, water is hard (i live in the country and have well water), chlorine is 0 (well water), alkalinity 40 and ph is 6.2. Now i have another tank that is 29 gallon tank and the parameters on that one is ammonia 0, nitrate 40, nitrite 1.0, hard water, chlorine is 0, alkalinity is 80, and ph is 7.2 and this 29 gallon tank is as clear as a bell. what do i need to do to the larger tank to clear up the water? any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks

I would do a 50% water change and see what happens after that. Don't forget when you add water it may stir up your substrate, so you may need to wait 24hours for it to settle completely, thus eliminating the cloudiness.

When you say "cloudy" can you be more specific? Is the cloudy water White? Is it Green? Or is it Dark like the substrate has been stirred up?

Thank you all so much. Will definitely do that!

Yes, bacteria bloom. More than likely your tanks were set up less than two months and the cycle has not completed. Once it has, then your nitrites will go to zero and your tank will clear up. I know it might sound silly to an experienced fish keeper, do not change your filter, and when you must clean it, just squeeze the media in used tank water. Never wash it in tap water.

Obsession is a matter of opinion

Thank you so much. I really appreciate all the advice and I will adhere to what you all have told me.

Back
Top Bottom