Clown fish; weird behavior-

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Giggles4fish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 4 year old Clown. He has been an active fish swimming "normally" for years. However, recently (3-4 months) he has not left his corner. He does swim vertically and comes out when food is put in his corner.

There is another clown fish in the tank. She is a Cinnamon Clown. Although more aggressive they both have grown up together. She does attack him when he attempts to swim out of his corner.

What is this cause? Just high stress? Is there anyway to help the Ocellaris Clown feel more comfortable without getting rid of the Cinnamon Clown?

Size of tank: 49 Gallon bow front.

Sorry about your issue your having with your clown. I understand you have a O. Clown and a Cinnamon Clown? If so they are two different species that just can't co-exist in the same tank, sorry for the bad news. But in order for them to Co-exist without any bullying would be if you had a 6 foot tank or larger. There are some members here that have 2 different species of clowns and there find, But from what I know almost most of the time two 2 different species of clowns will alway fight. I would also pick one and take him/her back to the LFS for credit maybe you could finda mated pair.

Forgive me for asking and after this I should know... what is the LFS? I am new to this apparently and shouldn't have taken the advice from someone at the store years ago. Thank you for your help :)

I posted a couple pics- Nemo (of course) is the O.Clown and Ditto is the C.Clown.

Attachments

• IMG_0032.jpg
    IMG_0032.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0016.jpg
    IMG_0016.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 76
Ditto looks pretty big, it also could be because the O. clown is intimidated by your Cinnimon Clown That could also be why he's in the corner. I would chose one and go from there.

Keep in mind, clowns are damsel fish, which tend to be a little nasty to other fish. Did you add them both at the same time?
Typically, different species don't like eachother in smaller tanks. Your C clown looks a lot larger and could be a female (do you know if it was female at the LFS?), while the O could still be unsexed and the female is asserting her dominance over the male.
Does the O. clown still eat?

Yes the O. Clown still eats. I purchased them maybe about one month of eachother, little over 3.5 years ago. Ditto was small when purchased, unknown about the sex.

Heh, I don't know a lot about other species of clowns (other than gold stripe maroons) but they pretty much behave/grow/act the same way.
Sometimes clowns will move and host different spots of the tank.
Let me post this to the mentors and see if some one can answer your question better than me.

Different clown species should not be housed together unless the tank is very large. What you are seeing is your much larger and more aggressive Cinnamon clown harassing the smaller more docile O. Clown. Eventually the Cinnamon will kill off the O. Clown. Cinnamon, Tomato, GSM, and a few other clowns are very aggressive and will harass to the point of death other fish. My suggestion is to remove one or the other.

OH my goodness- I will right away. Say bye to Ditto for sure. Thank you much!

Its never fun to have to banish a fish from your tank but in a case like this it is usually the best option.

How large is your tank? Adding another O. Clown (smaller then the one you already have) may be an option.

it is a 50 Gallon Bow Front- I only have other damsels that are pretty much docile unless Ditto attacks. A smaller O. Clown- any other opinions?

well I mean- when I get rid of ditto, what kind of fish should I add? I mean sure another O.Clown would be nice, but since the aggressiveness is going to be removed from my tank, any options for fish?

well really all I have in there is - some snails some damsels and my O.Clown- do you have any recommendations for when he is gone!?

Some damsels...How many and what kind. Clowns are damsels as well, but there are certain species of damsels that are more aggressive then others. How many fish exatly do you have in the tank?

Back
Top Bottom