clown fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pearsont74

Aquarium Advice FINatic
ok....i asked this on another post but i think it got overlooked
i want to get a clown and plan to get some sea anemones later
should i wait and get both at the same time or will the clown be ok without the anemone...
which is the best easiest anemone to host clowns?
should i stick with the same type of clowns or can i get like one true pel. and a skunk or maroon?

and please dont tell me i need to wait blah blah blah....i dont plan to get the anemone for another few months

From what I have read you should stick with one type of clown. If your adding more than one clown they need to be added at the same time. And if the are tank raised they will do fine without an anemone.
Don't know which anemone is best host, I think it's specific to type of clown. Maybe others can help.

To be clear, clowns do not need a host anemone in a home aquarium. In the wild, clowns rely on host anemones for protection. In return they bring the anemone food. This type of symbiotic relationship is not usually recreated in the home aquarium. It is more one-sided. Clowns may innately be atracked to anemones in a tank but rarely reciprocate. There is no way to predict if a given anemone will host any given clown. Some do, some don't. You can increase your odds by buying a clown and anemone that are already paired a the LFS.

The other problem is that certain type anemone host better with the clowns that are native to their area. The odds are against you on keeping anemones, in a survey 1 out of 18 anemones reached 3 years in captivity and 1 in 36 ever made it to 5 years. See if you can pickup clownfishes by joyce wilkerson, good book!

Yes you can have as many vareietis of anemone in the tank as you want. Just be careful some get huge!!!

I do not see any mention of the type of lighting you have....that is a definite consideration, as is if uou plan on corals. Your signature says FOWLR, but you are talking anemone and that is not FOWLR...I am confused.

ok....like i stated above....I dont plan to do this at this point and I currently have NO but within a month or 2 plan to go with VHO

I'm not totally sure if I agree with that. From what I understand/read, anemones can sense the presence of other anemones in the tank and may sting and kill each other. I've always understood that keeping multiple anemones should be left to those who have very large aquariums.
HTH

Back
Top Bottom