Clown loaches always hiding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikeybabs

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi guys I have 6 clown loaches that seem to always hide together and dont come out much. The previous owner said sometimes they'd hide for weeks and sometimes they would be out all the time. Can anyone tell me what makes them always want to hide and if I can do anything to fix it? Maybe they're adjusting to a new PH or the lighting? There are hiding spots but I just never see them come out to eat when I feed them.

Also would it be ok to feed them 1mm new life spectrum cichlid formula pellets?

Thx guys

im pretty sure they are extremely nocturnal,and the cichlid food should be fine for them

I had one clown loach because I had no clue that they schooled and it would hide for ever. Maybe you should add hidding spots, decrease lighting and just let them get comfortable... or you could also get more...

majority of loaches species are nocturnal, and only come out at night.
(or during feeding time)

Add more decorations, plants, hiding spots, caves.
They will feel safer, and It will encourage the loaches to venture and explore more.

Also, what size tank do you have?
And what other fish are in the tank?

Bubble_B0y said:
majority of loaches species are nocturnal, and only come out at night.
(or during feeding time)

Add more decorations, plants, hiding spots, caves.
They will feel safer, and It will encourage the loaches to venture and explore more.

Also, what size tank do you have?
And what other fish are in the tank?

I have 2 tiger barbs, 5 white skirt tetras, 2 red minor tetras, 3 gouramis, 2 panda cat fish, 1 peppered cat fish, 1 rubberlip pleco, 1 penguin tetra... And of course the 6 clown loaches...

Thx for your suggestion I will add more hiding spots... It just seems that some peoples loaches come out more than others.

My tank is a 55 gallon standard 48" long tank and the loaches are about 3-4" each.

It's a real planted tank. I will try to post some pics in a bit :)

sherlock1315 said:
I had one clown loach because I had no clue that they schooled and it would hide for ever. Maybe you should add hidding spots, decrease lighting and just let them get comfortable... or you could also get more...

I already have 6 loaches. Wouldn't that be enough for them to school and feel safe?

increase your tiger barb population to 4-6
Clown loaches & Tiger Barbs frequently school together (similar stripe pattern) ;)

Perhaps with the extra tiger barbs swimming around, the clown loaches will feel there is more of their kind.

increase your tiger barb population to 4-6
Clown loaches & Tiger Barbs frequently school together (similar stripe pattern) ;)

Perhaps with the extra tiger barbs swimming around, the clown loaches will feel there is more of their kind.

+1

6 barbs would school a lot more and be less aggressive towards other tank mates.. My loaches follow the barbs around frequently.

Thanks for the suggestion on the tiger barbs. I was planning to increase my tiger barb population already! :)

Here is a picture of the aquarium that the loaches hide in... Maybe I should make more caves

Attachments

• image-4222086916.jpg
    image-4222086916.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 640
Back
Top Bottom