Clown Loaches vs. Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thaiboxer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey all,

I'm putting up my 125 gallon tank pretty soon - I've had several tanks for a few years but had to take them all down completely while my house was refinished. I'm going to be doing a community planted tank, but my question is one of basic compatibility.

I've always wanted Clown Loaches, and I've heard that they're snail eaters. Is that true of all snails? I saw some large cool ones at my LFS the other day and would really like 1-2, but I'd prefer loaches and can get SAE's and some Ottos for my clean-up crew.

Will Clown Loaches eat all snails?

Thanks!

yes, all botia loaches will eat snails. Even ones that are not in the botia family are notorious for being snail eaters. So don't let snails get in your way of getting the fish you have always wanted. Just go for it and dont put any snails in the tank. It is that simple, lol

Thanks for the help! I'll go for the loaches and stay away from snails for my cleanup crew. The loaches will also kill off any snails that come in with my plants; major plus.

I'm hoping to make a trip up to the north shore sometime in the next couple of weeks on a driftwood hunt! I'm hoping to find a couple pieces with good character for the tank. Can't wait to get it up and running!

Back
Top Bottom