ClownLoach Question ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grant R

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've just been looking at a chart I have about which fish can go with which and it seems that Clown Loaches cannot go with :

A ) Guppies
B ) Platy's
C ) Gourami
These are the fish I have

I wouldn't of asked this question, but FishFreek was saying that he couldn't see a problem with this, so I thought I'd get some other opinions.

What do you think ?

I have 2 small (2 in.) clown loaches in with pearl and powder blue gouramis. The only time the loaches worry the gouramis, is feeding time. And then they only seem to be "tasting" the gouramis with their barbels. No nipped fins or anything like that. I do plan to move them to a larger tank when they get bigger, as they might be a problem when they are a foot long!! By the way, have you tried dried tubifex worms with them... Mine are psychotic about them. They actually will grab them out of other fishes mouths!

We have and have had Clown Loaches with Mollies (al types), Platties,Guppies, Cardinal Tetras, Rainbows,ETC. They are a very peaceful fish. Ours love Blood worms, Veggie sticks, Algae waffers.
We have found out the do better in pairs more active and not lonely

I've had clown loaches with Cardinals, Platy's and guppies and never had a problem. I have found them to be very peaceful. They are best kept in pairs. I wouldn't hesitate getting them for a second. They are really quite amusing fish.

Right, think I'll get a pair then. :D

Also, with ClownLoach's in mind, plus my other types I currently have (Guppies, Platy's & Gourami's) , will they go with a Red Fin Tail Shark ?
The guy in the shop seemed to think it'd be OK, although they are slightly aggressive but to leave it for a week ( which will be this Sat / Sun ) .

What do you all think ?

I dont see a problem with a clownloach and a redfin shark. In fact I had that combo in a 20 high for a few years. Then they got merged into a 90 gal tank.

I also have a pair of red fin sharks in with my loaches. The red fins are much smaller, but I have not had any problems. They share the same shady spaces in the tank and seem to get along well. I think you would have a problem only in a tank that was overcrowded, because they would compete for food in the same areas.

I had the Red Tail Fin Sharks in my tank along with the Clown Loaches and other fish mentioned. I had no problems with them getting along. I do have to warn you though...the Sharks do like to jump. I had three of them jump out of my tank.

I got two Clown Loaches and a Red Fin Shark over the weekend. They seem to be fine, although one of the ClownLoaches is very persistent in hiding away. Is this normal ?

Also, after feeding them this evening, one of the loaches (the non-hideaway one) went on a rout of ' nosing ' other fish, it may have even been trying to nip fin's, I'm not sure. :?

I hope it won't do this all the time. :roll: :?

Clown Loaches do like to hide. They are mostly nocturnal, but they do come out when the lights are on too. Some are out all the time. Also, don't be alarmed if you see them laying on their side, this is how they rest. A couple of times I thought they died until I realized this. So don't be too alarmed by the hiding or their resting habits. The nosing of the other fish is normal too. Mine do it, but they don't seem to hurt them in anyway. Sometimes I think it's their way of saying "Hey, come on, lets play." They are very active and amusing fish. I think you'll enjoy them.

The Clown Loach that is hiding maybe just getting used to the new tank or could be Nocturnal. The Clown Loaches we have at home are out all the time, The two we have at work are strictly nocturnal. I have never seen or heard of Clown Loaches being fin nippers but I guess anything is possible. I would keep an eye on him. Hopefully he will settle down.

Clowns

I have heard of one instance where Clowns seemed to have caused the demise of another fish. A friend of mine put two Angelfish (expensive breeders) in with two clown loaches. Everything went fine for a few days. These four fish were the sole inhabitants of this tank (55 gal I think). The Angels were found one morning dead and pretty badly beaten up. No one ever saw the loaches direct any agressive behavior toward the Angels so we are not 100% sure this is what happened. We keep Clowns at the store with many different fish and have never had any trouble with them.
Logan J

Cheers for all the comments, helpful. :D
I'm pretty sure the fin-nipping is harmless, as it only ever seem's to be during feeding time really. Never on any other occasion. I still think it's peculiar how one clown loach is almost constantly active and the other is very secretive ! Saying that, when he does swim about, it's usually always together, two ClownLoaches. :)

And I know what is meant about hiding - when this fella hides, he does it really well !

Re: Clowns

loganj said:
... The Angels were found one morning dead and pretty badly beaten up. No one ever saw the loaches direct any agressive behavior toward the Angels so we are not 100% sure this is what happened. ...

I have a ? about how they where beaten up. Given that these fish where dead when discovered and that loach's by their nature are bottom scavengers whats not to say that the loach's did not just do what came natural when two 'fresh' dead fish found their way to the bottom of the tank.

When I had freshwater systems years back I would not have to worry about a fish dieing and removing it as usually the dead fish's carcus did not last a 24 hour period before it was totally consumed by my pleco, loachs, red tailed shark or other fish.

It is very normal for them to hide. I read that bright light actually hurts their eyes. I am not sure if that is true, but they do like dark corners. Mine also go a little nuts at feeding time "nosing" everything in the tank including the other fish. I think they are just trying to locate food using their whiskers, because none of my other fish have any fin damage due to this.

I hope they don't dislike the light too much, as mine is on each day for a good 8 - 12 hours. Have you also noticed that they seem like very ' sensitive fish ' ?
One of mine was sitting sideways on by the filter and i touched the glass to remove a mark and it literally flew to the other side of the tank in a frenzy !

To say they are a breed with a lot of personality is an understatement !

dead angels

Well...I really don't know. I wasn't there and can only relate what I was told about the incident. He said the angels were fine the night before and the next morning they were both floaters. They had lots of fin damage. I thought it was odd too since the clowns at the store never seem to harass any tankmates. I wonder if anyone on the site has ever noted any agressive behavior with these fish?
Logan J

I know that Angels can sometimes be aggressive toward each other and smaller fish, but I can't imagine them killing each other. Is it possible there were other issues with the tank?

loaches

I doubt it. The guy who had this tank had just paid a chunk for these angels and would have made sure the water was as perfect as it could be. Who knows...we thought it was odd too. Clowns were the only possibility that made any sense at the time.
Logan J

Back
Top Bottom