co2/diy vs automated

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
so its just a filter(powerhead) on top of a pipe with co2 coming in from ther liter and then that makes it go into the hole which sents it to the tank?

ya i get it except for how to get the water into the powerhead and waht teh loop that is so far down from the top ,as the caption says, actually doing

the entire device is submerged into the water. thats how water gets into it..

now for the rest of your question.. could you repeat it in a way that I can understand?

are you talking about the pipe that goes close to the bottom? if so thats were the CO2 enters the chamber (it being a gass it will rise naturally to the top of the chamber)

If your talking about the loop from the venturi on the power head it sucks the CO2 gass into the water that is flowing though the powerhead breaking it down into tiny bubbles over and over again (thus the loop), this makes the design very effective IMHO.

the exit further down on the left of the diagram is a (burp) for when there is a buildup of air in the chamber (this happens in any gas traping design, O2 and NO2 get caught in the air pocket as CO2 is desolved into the water) very little CO2 is lost but Im quite sure a minisule amout would be at the point at wich the device burps the air pocket.

the CO2 is desolved into the water inside the reaction chamber and the mixed water and CO2 escape out the bottom of the tube.

I hope I explained how this works to the point you can understand but if you still have questions go ahead and ask. :p

alright i think i got it now, so i would take a pipe, proly pvc if thats okay, then ill buy a powerhead and put it on top, then i would put the pipe from the co2 mixture container and put it inside, then i will drill a hole on the side for the blurp tube but the only thing i dont get now is how i would make the loop?

thanks for bearing with me on this!

Quick question as well along the lines of the PVC question, will silicon tubing be fine to use?

Hmm...think I just answered my own question:

Silicone tubing reacts w/ CO2 and renders it less efficient (thus the silicone hardening over time under CO2 usage). Our special CO2 Resistant Tubing loses less than 1% of CO2.

If its just an efficiency thing I don't really care, but if its actually putting some other chemical into the water then I'll think about changing it? Seems pretty expensive for tubing ($0.89 per foot).

EDIT:

Hmm did some more research and now I'm thinking that the use of CO2 resistant tubing is either highly exaggerated and/or only needed with non DIY setups that have high pressure sections:

The losses through vinyl tubing are grossly exaggerated, IMO. The only place
where CO2-proof tubing is useful is between the bottle and the solenoid
(assuming that your solenoid isn't attached directly to the regulator). That's
the high-pressure part of the system, and you might notice a bit of loss there.
For the low-pressure part (following the needle valve), any odd tubing will do.

nitrous said:
thanks for bearing with me on this!

ahh.. its fine.. I get in a hurry to answer too many questions sometimes.. sometimes people have to bear with my short answers sometimes.. :?

I dont see any issue with using PVC.. so long as you can get fittings to work with the powerhead you pick. goodluck and let us know how it works for you. :D

so long as your runs are short the tubing shouldnt be too bad.. and silicone used to be recomended (though it did have some loss just not as much as standard)

travis simonson said:
GM on CO2 or ODNO :eek2:

ROFL HAHAHAHA!!!

hmm? my idea's on CO2 DIY or lighting DIY (wich would include ODNO :mrgreen: )

I would help anyone wanting to DIY any type of lighting.. that would include even CF.. :wink:

Are you wanting some ballast recomendations for ODNO or something travis?
(pm sent and recived and replied.. "eek" no kidding.. ROFL)

Over Driving Normal Output Florecent Lamps..

putting more power though T-8 bulbs then normal..

I dont shout about it from the roof tops anymore (though the bulb replacement is pretty cheap)
with some of the reactions around here you would think I was still doing that.. LOL

but It can be an econimical way to get more light for less $$$

and I think travis was refering to my plans for DIY preasurized CO2.. LOL

Back
Top Bottom