Co2 for the win!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marvelous

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok so I finally want to learn about Co2 equiptment. I just dont understand it I guess, but I want to put it in my planted 10g without killing my fish. I have seen those DIY pop bottle ideas and Im at home this weekend so I think I want to make one. But before I put it into my tank I need to know what Im doing... I know that you can over do it, but like I said I dont want to kill my fish so any tips/info/advice/suggestions on Co2 would be greatly appreciated. I want to expand my Co2 knowledge.

Thanks
Marv

I got DIY CO2 on my 10G tank and so far haven't had any problems. Then again, I just "wing it" because I'm too cheap to buy a test kit or anything..

What kind of diffuser are you using?

diffuser

Like I said I dont really know anything about co2, so I dont know what a diffuser is I guess. Is that like the filter?

Diffuser

Ok, i see what you mean. I didnt even know I needed one of those. Do you have picture or pictures of your DIY co2 setup? I would like to see a good setup for a 10g, and if yours is fine then I would like to try it. How long has yours been setup? This is what I found CO2 Nano Diffuser | Green Leaf Aquariums, what do you think?

Sometimes those ceramic diffusers don't work very well with DIY CO2, in on of my tanks I have a limewood airstone and the other tank I have it going in the HOB filter. Another way some diffuse their CO2 is a piece of chopstick put in the tubing.

The only thing that I really keep an eye on is making sure the mix doesn't get in the tank.

wood diffuser

So the co2 will leak through the wood? Like a chopstick or a tooth pick? Or a wooden dowl?

I would point you to a really good article, but it appears it was taken down not too long ago. However, I saved the schematic of a recommended DIY CO2 setup. I took it shopping when I wanted to get everthing I needed.

bigdiyco2.jpg

Personally, I use a glass diffuser from eBay I bought for $6.00. Works really well! I know of others who have added powerheads to move the bubbles all over the tank getting even better results.

HTH

So the co2 will leak through the wood? Like a chopstick or a tooth pick? Or a wooden dowl?
I don't know if a wooden dowel will work but I know the chopstick will. It will be a fine mist of bubbles.

I would point you to a really good article, but it appears it was taken down not too long ago. However, I saved the schematic of a recommended DIY CO2 setup. I took it shopping when I wanted to get everthing I needed.

bigdiyco2.jpg

Personally, I use a glass diffuser from eBay I bought for $6.00. Works really well! I know of others who have added powerheads to move the bubbles all over the tank getting even better results.

HTH

Awesome!
Thanks for this.

I was advised to add 3 bottles for my 75G. EEks!!

For your 75G tank, I would recommend a pressurized system. Initial cost will be more expensive, but worth it in the long run. You may need 4 or 5 bottles for a 75G tank, depending. The amount of time and frustration a pressurized system would save you (changing 4-5 mixture bottles, yikes!) would be well worth the cost of the pressurized system imo.

Thanks fort384 for the feedback.

I would love to eliminate the use of 2 or 3 2L bottles. Unfortunately, having a pressurized system is not an option right now. Not even about the $$$. It's about having small kids. My 8 year old I am not worried about, it's the 2 year old that is exploring like mad.

i use 5 bottles on my 55g and i think that it might not be quite up to par. but i suppose having some co2 is better than none.

i use 5 bottles on my 55g and i think that it might not be quite up to par. but i suppose having some co2 is better than none.

What sort of lighting requirement do your plants need and how does your lighting procedure go?

a couple of my plants have mid to high lighting requirements, but most are low light. i have 2 54w t5 bulbs. i keep them on for about 8 hours a day.

Thanks fort384 for the feedback.

I would love to eliminate the use of 2 or 3 2L bottles. Unfortunately, having a pressurized system is not an option right now. Not even about the $$$. It's about having small kids. My 8 year old I am not worried about, it's the 2 year old that is exploring like mad.

You should be able to put the CO2 cylinder in the aquarium stand and put some latches on the doors to keep the 2 year old out. You really will save yourself a lot of frusteration if you can go pressurized.

How about the dangers? Are there any?

I am a bit wary. Should I be? I should actually be more wary of what I currently have I suppose, with the 1 2L bottle on the floor.

Ok,
Just visited Big Al's Online. There are what seems to be, some simple setups.
Maybe I am getting thrown off by some of the setups I have seen from some of the members here at AA. Huge tanks, and what not.

Back
Top Bottom