co2 help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

midnighttide102

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Any one want to share how i can set up a co2 system cheap i want to start ventering into some plants and get rid of the plastic any help would be greatly app. thanks jimmy

For that price you could get a regular regulator, solenoid, bubble counter and needle valve. I got my MA957 for about $90 shipped on eBay.

For the solenoid don't you need the electronic deal to open and close it? Aquacave has a pressurized CO2 system for less than $300 with the tank, MA957, electronic deal, and diffusor. Here is the link.

You don't have to inject co2 to have live plants. There are plenty of options for plants that would do fine in low to medium light without co2. Just saying. :)

The solenoid is what opens and closes to let the co2 flow or not. I use one on my co2 system and only have the co2 injected while the lights are on the tanks.

So you just have the solenoid on a timer? That makes sense. I am wanting to do a low-medium light 75g planted tank but I want to have a lot of plants. Should I try it without CO2 and if the plants aren't looking so good then consider injecting CO2?

Kristin is right on. I run my solenoid off a timer. I'm not sure what 'electrical deal' means. The solenoid is electrical and it controls the opening and closing of the valve. By default (ie, no power) the valve is shut.

I think the deciding factor for needing CO2 is your WPG. If you get too high you will need to inject CO2 and start dosing ferts. Keep it 2wpg and below and you shouldn't need to dose any. HTH.

The fixture that I am wanting to buy would actually put me at 3wpg. I guess I could always take a bulb out to make it 2wpg though. This is the fixture I want to buy. I can't find anyone that has bought them but I will take the risk. Would it be better to take one light out or just put the lights on timers so that it is usually only running 2 bulbs and then have the other 2 come on for something like a third of the time? Thanks for everyone's input, sorry for kind of stealing the thread with all my questions.

Yep, my solenoid is on a timer. At 3wpg...you could try without co2 if you start with alot of plants. If you plant a little at first and plan to slowly increase the plant mass, I would definitely get the co2 going because otherwise you'll be inviting algae. More plants will leave less nutrients (and light) for the algae to use. Or if you drop to 2wpg, you'd be good without co2 IMO....just look for algae (more than the normal diatoms) to form and plant health to be your deciding factors.

Jimmy, what size tank are you wanting live plants for? If its over 20 gallons, I would either do low-medium light plants or look into pressurized co2. DIY co2 can be alot more work on larger tanks...to get the right amount of co2 into the tank. Some people feel its worth it...I personally don't. I'd rather spend a bit more money and have it be less time consuming.

Co2

I am only planing on doing a nano tank 5gal with a few guppy should I go with a 2litter bottle or can I go smaller? Thanks all for the advice

I am only planing on doing a nano tank 5gal with a few guppy should I go with a 2litter bottle or can I go smaller? Thanks all for the advice

I just use a 500 litre pop bottle with another strapped on to count bubbles/drop yeastsugar slime. Of course, all I have over my 5g is a 13watt cfl, so I probably don't need it, but it doesn't hurt. My sword plant was getting big in it, so I had to take it out, if thats any indication.

Of course, with a tank that small, if you just do low/medium plants, Flourish Excel should be fine, and much less bothersome than injecting co2.

Back
Top Bottom