CO2 into canister intake......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

QuantumCranker

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was wondering, Will injecting co2 into my canisters intake have any adverse effects on the aerobic bacteria that live there? ie Is it possible that they may be starved somewhat of O2?

TIA
Randy

One of the possible drawbacks is locking your filter up. I've never had this happen to me but I've heard people say that injecting CO2 into your filter intake can sometimes result in the build-up of a gas bubble in the filter which breaks the pump vacuum and causes it to quit pumping water - not a good thing if you're not there to prime it again. Hopefully someone else can confirm this for me :wink:

Confirmed..It's just like running your pump dry..
Also, Im presuming your talking co2 from a cylinder, because diy co2 will just have the concoction sucked straight into the tank if the pump is powerfull enough, ultimatly breaking the seal on you intake tubing and sucking air, and causing the same problem.

Ok,

I think I'll go with a PVC/Ping-Pong ball reactor I was planning in the exhaust after the filter. Tried and true. I was just thinking of letting the impeller do the work for me. It is pressurized and will only be maybe a bubble or two per second.
Thanks guys and Travis, I really admire your plant work and will probably be hounding you in the near future! :lol:

Randy

Back
Top Bottom