Co2 setups

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sk3lly

Aquarium Advice Addict
Looking to do a co2 setup in my tank. Tank is 24gallons and heavily planted. I would like to go the fluval co2 88 cartridge route, but id like to buy a regulator with a solenoid, a nicer bubble counter and diffuser. Does anybody know if the fluval cartridges are threaded and if so what size? Im a plumber so i can make it work as long as its threaded. Im in the uk by the way
Thanks

I am not sure about the fluval setup but I do want to suggest that you look into a real co2 tank if this is for long-term. You will end up spending way more than is necessary with those small cartridges. You can get a 5lb tank for around $60 dollars on amazon and it will last you months with only around $20 for a refill. It seems like the easiest route as a beginner but the actual tanks are not that complicated to set up as they seem.
With the actual tank you will also need co2 resistant tubing.

Those co2 packs like the fluval are better used for a temporary solution.

I am not sure about the fluval setup but I do want to suggest that you look into a real co2 tank if this is for long-term. You will end up spending way more than is necessary with those small cartridges. You can get a 5lb tank for around $60 dollars on amazon and it will last you months with only around $20 for a refill. It seems like the easiest route as a beginner but the actual tanks are not that complicated to set up as they seem. With the actual tank you will also need co2 resistant tubing. Bubble counter, diffuser, and a regulator. The only real expensive item on the list is the regulator. Those co2 packs like the fluval are better used for a temporary solution.
I didnt want to use the fluval setup as there is no way of connecting to a timer with the use of a solenoid valve. I only wanted to use their cartridges as they are small and i dont have a lot of space

I hear you about the space. I too am very limited in space. If you are that low on space, you could do a paintball set up as well. Unfortunately I know nothing about the fluval cartridges, sorry. I do remember watching a video on YouTube that was about a solenoid that could use both tanks and those cartridges and if my memory serves me correctly, it was threaded. Let me see if I can find it.

I hear you about the space. I too am very limited in space. If you are that low on space, you could do a paintball set up as well. Unfortunately I know nothing about the fluval cartridges, sorry. I do remember watching a video on YouTube that was about a solenoid that could use both tanks and those cartridges and if my memory serves me correctly, it was threaded. Let me see if I can find it.
Even a paintball canister would be fine. I hadnt thought about that. Do they need an adapter to go from the canister to the regulator??

Yes, they sell regulators that are especially made for paintball tanks. They also sell adapters if you have a regulator already. I'm just trying to think of long term for you. Those cartridges run $30 for a three pack and concidering the time you get out of each one, you are going to be spending a hearty amount a year on them. I found the video on YouTube but the guy is using a different brand. On a 40 gallon tank with a 24oz paintball tank, you can probably get around 5-6 weeks and the refills will only put you back about $5. I think 24oz tanks are about $30. If it were me, I would get two so that I wouldnt have to go for refills as often, depending on how far it is from ur house.

I only have a 16oz so I googled this and found it on a paintball forum.
24oz - diameter 3-1/4" or 8.5cm.

Thanks for the better estimate jkeatings! I am about to do a paintball setup on my new Betta tank. Since you use one, which regulator or adapter also you use and do you like it?

I only have a 16oz so I googled this and found it on a paintball forum. 24oz - diameter 3-1/4" or 8.5cm. Thanks for the better estimate jkeatings! I am about to do a paintball setup on my new Betta tank. Since you use one, which regulator or adapter also you use and do you like it?

I use a UP Aqua Dual Gauge regulator. It works well for me but the more tried and tested is the Milwaukee one with the bubble counter. Same price as the one I have, about 90$. I also use the aquatek PB adapter. This has always worked well for me. No leaks and steady bubble count.

I use a UP Aqua Dual Gauge regulator. It works well for me but the more tried and tested is the Milwaukee one with the bubble counter. Same price as the one I have, about 90$. I also use the aquatek PB adapter. This has always worked well for me. No leaks and steady bubble count.
Thanks. Thats what I am worried about with using an adapter, leaks.

don't worry about it. I don't even use Teflon tape and I've never had any issues.
Thanks for the info! I went though like a month of hell with co2 tanks...turns out I had a faulty regulator. I went though 4 refills in a month and no one could tell me what was wrong. I was getting so upset because everyone kept telling me I had leaks but when I did the water and soap test, I was getting nothing. I even had my boyfriend tighten the connection between the tank and a regulator lol. Eventually I bought a new regulator and kept everything else the same and the problem went away.
I still don't know what was wrong with that old one though.

Can anyone recommend a regulator with solenoid that i can purchase here in the UK? Im looking to hook it up to a paintball canister. Thanks

Can anyone recommend a regulator with solenoid that i can purchase here in the UK? Im looking to hook it up to a paintball canister. Thanks
You may want to concider making a post on the general forums asking, more traffic there. Might have better luck.

You can contact Orlando at GLA and see what their shipping is to over there. They have a nice paintball regulator they sell. If they don't ship, check amazon.

Back
Top Bottom