co2 tank=medical oxygen tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

disvegas

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am new to this forum but would like to seek some advices from the members here. I happened to see there's a "medical oxygen tank" for sale at attractive price on Craigslist.org and wanted to know whether the tank can be used as co2 tank for planted aquarium or not :rolleyes:? Is co2 canister the same as medical oxygen canister? Many thanks.

Collin,

Welcome to AA!

I have no idea if you can do that or not, what I would do is call a local robert's oxygen or brewery (or whoever you plan to use to fill the tank with CO2) and ask them if they're allowed to fill it with CO2 or not.

Oxygen tanks use a regulator with a different thread type than CO2 tanks so they will not be compatible for use with CO2 regulators.

Short answer is that even if it's possible, it's generally more expensive to convert a gas cylindar to hold a different gas than originally intended than simply going out and buying a cylindar intended for that gas.

on a side note call your local welding place. not only you can buy them there mine lets me swap out different tanks. co2 to o2 or what ever.

Back
Top Bottom