coffee table aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jpchin

Aquarium Advice FINatic
hi everyone
posting my first photos of my coffee table aquarium. it's 45 gals. 56" long 23" wide and about 12" deep. the overall height is 21" including the glass top. it has a ugf made of a pvc pipe grid. the pipes have holes in them to circlate the water but there isn't a tray to collect debris. all wirs and lights are hidden and there are 5 togglr switches on the front to switch on lights power heads and heater.

Awesome! My husband and I were wondering about those. How hard are they to clean?

I'd presume top comes off and you clean like any other aquarium?

they are very easy to clean. just like a regular aquarium. the only difference is that you have to clean around the grid of pipes but that's easy to get in-between with the cleaning tube. the under ground filter is nice because it doesn't have a tray to cause a build up of muck and so it doesn't have to be broken down and pulled out like some ugf's do. this tank is 45 gals.

While cool I don't think it would be very functional. Just think what you normally put your coffee table through but add fish. Doesn't seem very fair to the fish, plus you are going to have power cords to try and hide.

yes the glass top lifts off and the whole tank is exposed. since the lenght of the tank is 56" you have a wide open area to work in.

no power cords to hide. everthing is hidden in the columns. there is only one cord running from the aquarium. the front of the aquarium has 5 toggle switches that turn on the 2 power heads, 2 lights are on a switch so with 4 lights you have 2 toggles for that and one toggle for the heater. we don't have any children and the top of the table is rarely used for anything other then a beverage glass. i believe the fish are very happy. they have 56" of straight swimming space. that's a long runway for swimming. the tank is 23" wide so again the fish have plenty of room to move around. more than a traditional 45 gals. you might want to google aqua vim and look at all their aquariums. very neat.

no power cords to hide. everthing is hidden in the columns. there is only one cord running from the aquarium. the front of the aquarium has 5 toggle switches that turn on the 2 power heads, 2 lights are on a switch so with 4 lights you have 2 toggles for that and one toggle for the heater. we don't have any children and the top of the table is rarely used for anything other then a beverage glass. i believe the fish are very happy. they have 56" of straight swimming space. that's a long runway for swimming. the tank is 23" wide so again the fish have plenty of room to move around. more than a traditional 45 gals. you might want to google aqua vim and look at all their aquariums. very neat.

Having a three year old is what made us not want this table. It still doesn't make us like it any less! Nice living room BTW.

They are cool in a novelty way and I've seen them personally but will never would own for a few reasons like the viewing angle is wrong, the lack of lighting, and poor filtration(UGF is a huge pain). To each their own but its right up there with these IMO.

Attachments

• 060509_3.jpg
    060509_3.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 330
While searching around for tanks my husband came across this and the coffee table. And now my husband really really really, annoyingly really wants this. I told him absolutely no.

the reason why is because i live in a house that has a huge open area that is vaulted and is totally open in the living room, dining room and kitchen. i have no walls separating these living areas. only the outside walls and i have furniture against them. i always wanted an aquarium but no place to put it. when i saw this coffee table aquarium i was so happy because i've wanted an aquarium for a long time. i don't underatand why you would think that the fish are unhappy with this arrangement. they are all thriving and my 2 german blue rams have been happily living in this for 6 months now. i posted some pics of them and they are beautiful and healthy. imo it's how much effort you put into the tank that makes happy fish as long as you aren't making obvious mistakes like over crowding, mixing wrong fish together, etc. i take very good care of my tank and am a bit surprised that my tank has been compared to an obviously unfit tank for fish (the toilet picture) very unfair comparison and also mean spirited imo. first time someone has been less than kind on this site.

the reason why is because i live in a house that has a huge open area that is vaulted and is totally open in the living room, dining room and kitchen. i have no walls separating these living areas. only the outside walls and i have furniture against them. i always wanted an aquarium but no place to put it. when i saw this coffee table aquarium i was so happy because i've wanted an aquarium for a long time. i don't underatand why you would think that the fish are unhappy with this arrangement. they are all thriving and my 2 german blue rams have been happily living in this for 6 months now. i posted some pics of them and they are beautiful and healthy. imo it's how much effort you put into the tank that makes happy fish as long as you aren't making obvious mistakes like over crowding, mixing wrong fish together, etc. i take very good care of my tank and am a bit surprised that my tank has been compared to an obviously unfit tank for fish (the toilet picture) very unfair comparison and also mean spirited imo. first time someone has been less than kind on this site.

I'm sorry some one was unkind to you. I like the tank. It's unconventional and sometimes that throws people off. I think the toilet tank was just someone posting something funny. I laughed so hard when my husband showed it to me! I couldn't believe it is actually in production. As long as your fish are happy and healthy what does it matter what they are kept in? Hope you don't leave the site over one bad experience.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean why in your case. I meant why do people make these...it just seems like such a hassle and not very functional. Apologies!

oh no i would never leave this site. i have received so much help over the last 7 months setting up my aquarium and the knowledge that everyone has so freely and kindly shared with me is very much appreciated. i guess it just hit me the wrong way when someone suggested that i am not taking good care of my fish. i spend a great deal of time doing all the things you should do to have a great tank to house my fishy friends. the suggestion that my fish aren't well taken care of offends me because i spend hours weekly to make sure they are happy and healthy. i will continue to do so in the future. thanks

oh no i would never leave this site. i have received so much help over the last 7 months setting up my aquarium and the knowledge that everyone has so freely and kindly shared with me is very much appreciated. i guess it just hit me the wrong way when someone suggested that i am not taking good care of my fish. i spend a great deal of time doing all the things you should do to have a great tank to house my fishy friends. the suggestion that my fish aren't well taken care of offends me because i spend hours weekly to make sure they are happy and healthy. i will continue to do so in the future. thanks

ohhhh, I got it now! LOL, had to go back and reread to catch that.
But agreed, you can keep fish any nearly anything given the proper size and equipment.

Love the coffe table tank. My father had a rectangular coffee table tank in his office when I was young, and I thought it was the coolest thing since sliced bread. His Oscars thrived happily for many years. Looks beautiful IMO!

i have 2 german blue rams, 7 dwarf gourami's, 2 glo fish, 3 x-ray tetra's, 2 sailfin mollys, 2mm platys and 2 south american bumblebee cat fish. also 4 nerite snails. because of the length of the tank i've had no fighting at all. everyone gets along great.

Back
Top Bottom