Collecting live foods

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gillie

Aquarium Advice Addict
I did a little poking around a few more snow melt ponds today to see if anything has started to populate them yet, so that I can boost my cultures. I found daphnia, fairy shrimp, cyclops and surprisingly, mosquito larvae http://rs719.pbsrc.com/albums/ww194/gillie_photos/20150404_160928.jpg~320x480

This is where I collected them http://rs719.pbsrc.com/albums/ww194/gillie_photos/20150404_155136.jpg~320x480 The pond is about 6-10" deep with a lot of leaf litter and remnants of long grass on the bottom.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I did a little poking around a few more snow melt ponds today to see if anything has started to populate them yet, so that I can boost my cultures. I found daphnia, fairy shrimp, cyclops and surprisingly, mosquito larvae http://rs719.pbsrc.com/albums/ww194/gillie_photos/20150404_160928.jpg~320x480

This is where I collected them http://rs719.pbsrc.com/albums/ww194/gillie_photos/20150404_155136.jpg~320x480 The pond is about 6-10" deep with a lot of leaf litter and remnants of long grass on the bottom.

That looks awesome! I need to go down to a pond near me and see what I can see. I bet you can really see a difference when you feed them foods like that!

This is what my daughter at MSU did for me today:

img_3197951_0_1c812957e3786b59fb5b7a682335bf1f.jpg

Gillie do you have any experience with black darter tetra? Seems like they come from South America...similar requirements with Apistos but I'm unsure if they are nippy and aggressive

Sorry about being off topic but I figured you'd know

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Gillie do you have any experience with black darter tetra? Seems like they come from South America...similar requirements with Apistos but I'm unsure if they are nippy and aggressive

Sorry about being off topic but I figured you'd know

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

As a matter of fact I have a pair that I am planning to spawn. They do occupy the same territory as apistos and they are a cave spawner so they should not be kept together unless in a larger tank. I wouldn't do more than 1 male per 5 gallons(with pleny of sight breaks)as they will fight pretty aggressively. A male will spawn with multiple females in the same cave. Besides the territorial thing they are quite passive.

That looks awesome! I need to go down to a pond near me and see what I can see. I bet you can really see a difference when you feed them foods like that!

Make sure it is a pond with no fish so that you find better numbers without having to worry about diseases. A good tip is, if the water contains fairy shrimp, then there are no fish present.

Make sure it is a pond with no fish so that you find better numbers without having to worry about diseases. A good tip is, if the water contains fairy shrimp, then there are no fish present.

Yeah I just went down to it and there was lots of minnows, frogs and crawfish. Oh texas. I'll keep lookin. Thanks for the tip!

Wait I can feed my fish mosquito larvae I find outside?! Mosquitos may have just gotten a little bit better lol

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Wait I can feed my fish mosquito larvae I find outside?! Mosquitos may have just gotten a little bit better lol

You should see the looks I get when people hear that I purposely leave a tub outside for mosquitoes

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

You should see the looks I get when people hear that I purposely leave a tub outside for mosquitoes

I'm pretty sure that can get you a hefty ticket in my part of Texas.

I won't go that far but a smallish bin will be left out this summer.

Back
Top Bottom