Geophagus steindachneri

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Following along and hoping for pics of free swimmers soon.

Me too, if she hadn't dropped the one fry for me to watch develop I'd be a little more impatient, but at least now I'll know when to have the bbs ready.

Oh and I think it's safe to say that assassin snails don't eat wigglers, the little guy's been out since it hatched and the snail hasn't even bothered.

So she picked up the escapee and I had to net her to take a peek, but it looks like my mid week estimate was pretty accurate, the yolk sacs are pretty much gone.

Sent from my 5560S using Aquarium Advice mobile app

No picture can compare to watching fry and parent activity live in person!
Geos are on my short list for "next " in my 180.
To have activity like this also would be bonus.
How long will she hold the fry before they are on their own(so to speak)?

No picture can compare to watching fry and parent activity live in person!
Geos are on my short list for "next " in my 180.
To have activity like this also would be bonus.
How long will she hold the fry before they are on their own(so to speak)?

I had to read up on how long they hold, I haven't kept them for 24 years but it sounds like it will be nearly a month. I broke the rearing tank rules and sprinkled some sand on the bottom so that she might relax a bit, but I'm not holding my breath, she's still pretty aggro with her reflection.

img_3270775_0_68f5089c000058d1f2b19641c66b3c43.jpg

They're HUGE!!!
Great picture!
Just mom with them now?

So it seems the babies have overstayed their welcome and are now being evicted in small groups, kind of chasing them away as they try to get back into her mouth. I also get to see some behavior that is missed in other SA cichlids, the mother mashes flake into tiny bits and passes them out of her gills to feed the fry.

So it seems the babies have overstayed their welcome and are now being evicted in small groups, kind of chasing them away as they try to get back into her mouth. I also get to see some behavior that is missed in other SA cichlids, the mother mashes flake into tiny bits and passes them out of her gills to feed the fry.

Wow really cool.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

what a sight to see!
Just another example of why breeding fish can more interesting then most think!
With their position to mom in the group picture it is easy to see they are waiting for food as much as looking to be protected.

The growth rate on these fish is unreal, they are already close to a 1/2"
Mom is finally eating for herself again and dads colors are really popping, I need to get a better camera.

This is all very cool! What are your plans for ze fruhhh??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Recent pic of dad, but it doesn't show the color well.

Attachments

• 1441242885195.jpg
    1441242885195.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 55
Back
Top Bottom