College fish life

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AssassinV

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, I currently have a 3 gallon tank. Yes, I know that's not much at all, however, I'm a full time college student and I'll be living in a small apartment when I go back up to college in a few months. I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right to keep my fish as happy as possible.

I have two GloFish and a Plecostomus algae eater. Before this I had a couple cherry barbs. I loved those fish so much. I would love to get more one day. What is the best way to transport them to college? Before, I took all the tank toys out and took out most the water and they sat on the floor of my car in the passenger seat in an opened box. They had done that (the cherry barbs) several times and handled that very well. Is there a better way to do this? I'm terrified that I'm going to stress them out by doing this.

Also, someday I wish to set up a real tank. I am looking for books about tank maintenance so I will be sure to keep it properly and insure healthy fish. However, until then, I do want to ask a few questions. What exactly does "cycling" a tank consist of? How many fish per gallon is suggested? And if you could offer any additional advice, I would love to learn more.

You are also more than welcome to offer advice for my current tank. I need to have a look at the name of the filter and more specifics. That is something I would also like advice on, what should I know of the specifics of my tank, and how do I go about acquiring this information?

Thank you kindly and I cannot wait to hear from you all :)

v

Hello, I currently have a 3 gallon tank. Yes, I know that's not much at all, however, I'm a full time college student and I'll be living in a small apartment when I go back up to college in a few months. I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right to keep my fish as happy as possible.

I have two GloFish and a Plecostomus algae eater. Before this I had a couple cherry barbs. I loved those fish so much. I would love to get more one day. What is the best way to transport them to college? Before, I took all the tank toys out and took out most the water and they sat on the floor of my car in the passenger seat in an opened box. They had done that (the cherry barbs) several times and handled that very well. Is there a better way to do this? I'm terrified that I'm going to stress them out by doing this.

Also, someday I wish to set up a real tank. I am looking for books about tank maintenance so I will be sure to keep it properly and insure healthy fish. However, until then, I do want to ask a few questions. What exactly does "cycling" a tank consist of? How many fish per gallon is suggested? And if you could offer any additional advice, I would love to learn more.

You are also more than welcome to offer advice for my current tank. I need to have a look at the name of the filter and more specifics. That is something I would also like advice on, what should I know of the specifics of my tank, and how do I go about acquiring this information?

Thank you kindly and I cannot wait to hear from you all :)

v

You've come to the right site. You will get help. As for cycling your tank: here is a link to help you do that: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html
Really, you need a bigger tank. GloFish need to be in groups of 5, and need at BARE MINIMUM 10 gallons of water preferably more. And as for the plecostomus, what kind is it? Common? Bristlenose? If it is common, it could grow up to 2 feet. That needs a MUCH bigger tank than the one you have. In a 3 gallon you could have 2 guppies and an apple snail. That might be slightly overstocking but I would go for it, as snails are so fun to watch:popcorn:. I honestly cannot tell you how to transport fish as the only time I've had fish in the car is the way back home from the store. Hope this helps.

Oh my goodness, hehe. It may be a little bit of time before I am able to get a larger tank. I do believe she is a common.... I do wish I knew my fish better. She looks like she has leopard print. And boy, do I believe that she'll get big! Since I got her, she just keeps growing. Such a big baby I have. I love her.

And oh, wow. I know I do want 4 more Glo's, I named my pink one Pinkie Pie and my yellow Fluttershy. I figured it'd be cute to have each colored fish for each pony name. I have been wanting to upgrade my tank size, but there is not much room in my house. Maybe that is something I can do in my apartment. Thank you very much, your input has been really awesome :)

If you don't mind, what is the perfect tank condition for Cherry barbs? I know they like to school, so several of them is much better for them.

Cherry barbs need to be in shoals of at least 5 to keep them more calm. They like the water 73-80 degrees. They like being kept with other non-aggressive fish. They should be kept in a minimum of a 20 gallon tank.

bud29 said:
Cherry barbs need to be in shoals of at least 5 to keep them more calm. They like the water 73-80 degrees. They like being kept with other non-aggressive fish. They should be kept in a minimum of a 20 gallon tank.

Alright. Thank you :) I need to look into getting a bigger tank somewhere!

Hello, I'm a college student as well, and I can say for sure that 20 gallon tanks (I prefer 20 gallon longs) aren't too big for a dorm or apartment as long as the building is okay with you having it! Most of the time they consider it a decoration, just be careful because in the event that it cracks or leaks, make sure you're not liable for the water damage - there should be some kind of liability section in the lease agreement, or the student agreement. That gives you room for a school of barbs, and maybe some other bottomfeeders!

And as an afterthought, if it's a common pleco, they get very, very large.

Back
Top Bottom