Columnaris Continued...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dale_I

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well, in short, I had some fish in quarantine (20 gal long) and one died immediately after entering the tank. I didn't think much of it since it was right from the LFS and they were a new batch. They didn't have any more Boesemani in stock, so the next week they replaced it with one from their new batch. When he entered the tank I noticed some mouth fungus and/or scrape and since this is not unfamiliar with Rainbow fish, I treated the tank with salt and lowered the temp to 75 degrees.

He got worse over the course of a day or so and I noticed signs of fungus on the other two Boesemani, the two turquoise have been unaffected, so I tried a natural remedy first, Pimafix. Half way through the 5 day treatment I lost the replacement Boesemani and decided to go for meds and treated the tank with Furan 2 for the full course of 4 days and raised the temp back up to 78.

After the 5th day I did a 50% WC and on the 6th I did three 50% WC to eliminate the meds from the tank. I kept a 2 teaspoon salt per 5 gallon mixture in, just to help with the slime coat.

It is now 5 days since and the water parameters are Ammonia:0, Nitrite:0, PH: 8.0, and Nitrate:5 to 10. Today, I noticed that one of the Boesemani has fungus on his lower lip and just behind his left fin. On his right side, there is a circle about 50 percent of his height that is injured.

Associated threads:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/pimafix-dosing-question-174220.html
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/question-on-fish-transfer-from-qt-174826.html

Next course of action will be a combination of Kanpalex and Furan 2, which is what used to be called Spectrogram. The Kanaplex (kanamycine) is said to treat internally as well as externally.

The other treatment I was considering was a Triple Sulfate, but I thought the ability to treat the internal issues may be a better choice. I was also thinking of treating it as a fungus only, but I'm leery that if it isn't I would be losing fish quickly.

Any comments? My actions seam reasonable?

Back
Top Bottom