Comments on my sump idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PontiacFan87

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well I have a 125 gal tank that im slowly getting ready and buying parts for. My plan for the filtration part was to have 2 sumps. I was going to get the Eshopps PF-1000 overflow (Reef Aquarium Filtration: Eshopps Overflow Boxes) and run each drain line to a different sump. 1 sump with a protein skimmer, and the other will be a wet/dry trickle filter with bio balls. Each will have the same size return pump in them. Reason for doing this? Well I have a 10 gal and a 15 gal tank that im not using that will be my sumps, and I can hide a heater in each one as well. Thoughts on this?

if you want multiple tanks in your filtration system it's best to link them together. i.e. single overflow like you said, but route everything to a common return.

For example, I did this with a 29g sump and a 10g fuge. Single Eshopps PF-1200 and split the overflows into each tank. The fuge, however, gravity drained down some PVC pipe into the sump for the return.

There's no way to control consistently how much water is going to which tank. So, if something were to happen and 1 of your 2 return pumps failed/clogged, water would continue into the tank with the failed pump due to the other return still running and overflow your system.

Sounds like a good idea to me, but I do see some potential problems. First, I'm not sure if those size tanks will be enough for a 125g tank. It may be, but I'd wait for an experienced user to comment for you. Also, if I remember correctly, bio balls aren't the best choice because they tend to build up Nitrates. Might want to get some more opinions on that, but I think something else might work better.

Just my 2 cents. I'd recommend getting a more experienced user's opinion though. It sounds like a great idea though!

edit: Ninja'd. Follow his advice first :)

Listen to nielanh,if one of the pumps fail,both overflows will still run,causing a flood.You need a common pump so if you have a power failure both overflows stop.Theres no right or wrong in respect to sump size it all depends on what will be in your DT,if there isn't much LR then a larger filter(sump/fuge) will be required,rule of thumb is around 25-30% of DT.I personally wouldn't go with Bio Balls but if regular maintenance is carried out they are good filters.A 15 gallon tank would be good for a macro algae tank and the 10 for the skimmer,heaters and return pump,you could plumb the 15 to the 10 which is how my sumps are connected

You'll spend countless hours tracking evaporation. IMO bad idea for a variety of reasons.

1) evap will kill you
2) how many bioballs can u fit in a 10/15g and still get trickle
3) bioballs blow
4) balancing 2 small water quantities is asking for a flood.

Get a 30 long (or bigger), partition it, baffle it. Save the money on double pumps etc.. sell the mini tanks

IMO ...blub blub blub

Back
Top Bottom