Common Goldfish Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paradise fish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Let's say that your summers are way too hot and winters are below 0 (or your local laws prevent you from making a pond), but still want to keep a nice pond type goldfish. How much gallons of water per fish do you need? I'm hearing the most crazy extremes for what tank size I should keep for a slim-bodied goldfish (common, comet, shubunkin, wakin, jikin, watonai). I want to know what your opinions on. And DON'T SAY "A POND" WITHOUT SPECIFYING THE GALLONS AND THE DIMENSIONS OF IT, because I can easily just bury a five gallon bucket in the ground and call it "a pond".

Many people seems to have a mentality that "whatever they think they should keep goldfish in is too small, and whoever says the most amount of gallons per fish is the smartest." This lead to me getting answers anywhere from 125 gallons for a single fish to 600 gallons. I'm sure no one in their common sense would only add a single 8" fish to a 125 gallon aquarium.

Tell me what you think is the correct water volumn for a single slim-bodied goldfish. I'm really wanting to know because I'm looking to get a couple Wakins. If you can also source your post with a link to a study or any site that can back you up, you will be highly regarded. I'll tally the results.

A 29 gal tank very good filtration 1 fancy goldfish (fantail)

Comets realy need a lot of swimming room and will grow larger than 1/2 of the 29gal.

Some of my comets with their tails are the size of a med. Koi.

I'm trying to get out of breeding goldfish but my goldfish have other ideas.

I don't sell any of my gold fish for fish tanks. If I did I could sell all my fish in 3 weeks.

I only sell pond and pool only.

If they want a fish for a tank they have to go to Petco. The only pet shop on the Island.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom