common pleco help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Flossie said:
My pleco was light whenever i got him and now he's dark. They are just like
Other fish... they fade a little when stressed. I wouldn't worry to
Much unless he starts showing signs that he's unhealthy.

Do u turn the lights out at night? They like the dark and it's their fav time to eat! I just love common plecos :) Also make sure u are feeding him some nice algae wafers here and there... :) btw I had a common in a ten gallon a bit ago ... He'll be fine for a
Little while if u keep him in clean water :D you probably already know all this but I thought id give ya my little bit Of advice :) make sure u have a rehoming plan for the lite guy. Hopefully u can get a bigger tank soon! That would be awesome
:)

Well my next plan is a 150 gallon tank so a major upgrade

Its in a 10 gallon tank (ya I know, way too small. Will upgrade one day ) and there is no other fish right now and if I knew what was wrong I wouldn't be seeking help on here

Common pleco's need atleast 125 gals, if not more. They grow up to 2 feet long and they grow fast. Upgrading him one day really isn't good enough if you care to avoid the painful process called stunting it will go through in a 10 gal tank. If a 125 gal or larger tank is not in the works within the next couple months, I recommend rehoming your pleco. In a somewhat larger tank such as a 29 gallon you could have a dwarf pleco such as a clown, bristlenose, or rubberlip...but no pleco's work in a 10 gal tank.

EDIT: sorry had this open for a while before I posted and got behind..I now see the 150 gal mentioned above^

siva said:
Common pleco's need atleast 125 gals, if not more. They grow up to 2 feet long and they grow fast. Upgrading him one day really isn't good enough if you care to avoid the painful process called stunting it will go through in a 10 gal tank. If a 125 gal or larger tank is not in the works within the next couple months, I recommend rehoming your pleco. In a somewhat larger tank such as a 29 gallon you could have a dwarf pleco such as a clown, bristlenose, or rubberlip...but no pleco's work in a 10 gal tank.

EDIT: sorry had this open for a while before I posted and got behind..I now see the 150 gal mentioned above^

Its okay. Don't worry about it. Ya my next plan is a 150g tank I just hope my floor will hold it

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom