Common Pleco too big for tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarahm

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all. This weekend I purchased a 45 gallon aquarium from someone, and he wanted me to take the remaining fish in the aquarium because he is moving. The aquarium came with 5 tetras and a common Pleco that are around 2.5 years old (he said). I know this poor Pleco needs a lot bigger aquarium. I have contacted my LFS hoping they will take him, but if they don’t what do I do with him when he outgrows this tank?

If your LFS won't take your soon to be XL common Pleco, might put him on Craigslist. Some people like super sized fish. If there are no takers, might have to euthanize.

Oh no, I would hate to euthanize him. [emoji45] Why don’t people research before buying fish? I will wait for my LFS to get back to me. Hopefully they will take him.

I don't blame the customer, most are unaware of such details. I think the responsibility falls on the LFS.

I re-homed a large pleko almost 3 years ago him along with his 2 goldfish friends to a very nice lady who has a 12x12x4 pond in her yard every winter she drains out the pond for cleaning and she puts all her fish in a big pool in her heated garage ,

I've visited 2 times since I re-homed and boy I will say yes they are happy they got huge . I never enjoyed a water garden until I seen hers it's just out of this world . It's literally a water park for fish , I'm going to have to get some picts this summer I think everyone would enjoy her garden I really did ,

so if you find someone with a nice pond who brings the fish in during winter months that would be one of your best options ,

Last edited:
My LFS is going to take him. He said he knows someone who would like him. [emoji846] Happy ending for Monster (my kids already named him).

My LFS is going to take him. He said he knows someone who would like him. [emoji846] Happy ending for Monster (my kids already named him).

I am also looking for a place to rehome a pleco that I received from a friend. Can you tell me where you took your Pleco?

Back
Top Bottom