Community Betta keeps getting bloat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RazorbacksFan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I kept debating whether to put this thread here or general but I figured since he's suffering from it now here was the place. Anyway I have a mail crown tail (beautiful guy) and he does great in the community tank aside from him eating himself into bloat more often than not. Usually when I notice a significant bulge I put him in one of my breeding divider things to let him clear out then when I think he's better (and thoroughly po'ed for being kept in the breeder) I let him go only to have him eat too much again. I find myself struggling with this annoyance I mean do I cut back on the food for all the other fish just for the good of one or try to keep him out of the regular feeding loop some other way?

I'm at a loss with this one and appreciate any help

I had a similar problem with one of my fish once. I eventually ended up getting another tank with a different community set up. Where most of the fish were bottom feeders. That way I fed only a minimal amount of food to the top feeders and dropped in sinking pellets for the bottom feeders. This was after 6 months of constant bloating...and me worrying. He seems fine now, but I am sure if he had more opportunity he would always overeat.

An alternative is this...most fish do not need to eat every day. You can simply feed them less each feeding but feed more frequently...for instance...if you normally feed once a day...feed them twice a day...morning and night; or if you feed twice a day decrease the amount you feed each time by a little or change the foods you give perhaps and alternate your feeding schedule...day 1: flakes, day 2: frozen live, day 3: flakes and algea and so forth. I have had to do this for my angelfish as they typically will always gorge on the brine shrimp or bloodworms. I will often not feed the day after I feed the live/frozen fresh foods. I even have a picture of my black veiltail with superbloat. Hope this helps.

My betta does the exact same thing, only with the algae wafers I put in for my pleco. I've started taking her out of the tank and putting her into the container I bought her in for a couple of hours while I let the pleco eat his pellet chunk. Otherwise, she just hogs the thing and gets bloated. It's very annoying!

I keep threatening to set up a betta bowl and give it to my mom as she loves the thing but I hate seeing them in small tanks. Thanks for the tips, I have tried decrease amounts and increasing the frequencies of feeding and still no luck. I also try to keep a fair amount of variety in the diet.

My betta does the exact same thing, only with the algae wafers I put in for my pleco. I've started taking her out of the tank and putting her into the container I bought her in for a couple of hours while I let the pleco eat his pellet chunk. Otherwise, she just hogs the thing and gets bloated. It's very annoying!
I have considered putting her in the breeder for each feeder but I think that's a lot of stress on the guy, I mean having to net him and isolate him three times a day and then reintroducing him. He also always is cranky when he gets out of solitary, flaring at the platies and such which he never does when left to roam.

About the only thing you can do is take him out of the tank while you feed the others. Every betta I've always had will eat until they kill themselves, unless you stop them.

I have considered putting her in the breeder for each feeder but I think that's a lot of stress on the guy, I mean having to net him and isolate him three times a day and then reintroducing him. He also always is cranky when he gets out of solitary, flaring at the platies and such which he never does when left to roam.
Well it may be time to put him in his own tank at that point. If he's becoming more of a hassle than a joy I mean.

Well it may be time to put him in his own tank at that point. If he's becoming more of a hassle than a joy I mean.
Yeah but that's a tough call to make. And I mean it's not just about inconvenience to me either it's the stress to him, I don't mind isolating him for his own good just fear that the frequency necessitated will be stressful to him. :crack:

Yeah but that's a tough call to make. And I mean it's not just about inconvenience to me either it's the stress to him, I don't mind isolating him for his own good just fear that the frequency necessitated will be stressful to him. :crack:

Sorry I should have clarified. I meant it may be time to put him in his own tank, permanently. As in set up a 3 gallon eclipse and keep him in that for good. Gets rid of both problems of bloat and bullying. :)

I'm getting my pleco into another tank in about a month. Then my betta will be alone again.

Sorry I should have clarified. I meant it may be time to put him in his own tank, permanently. As in set up a 3 gallon eclipse and keep him in that for good. Gets rid of both problems of bloat and bullying. :)

I'm getting my pleco into another tank in about a month. Then my betta will be alone again.
Yeah it's looking like that will be my best option. I suppose I will give my mom a nice looking betta tank and the betta, should be a nice little something for her too seeing as she's going through a divorce. Thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom