Community Tank: Fluval EBI with Betta as centerpiece

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Still cloudy but here's a quick pic of it nearly done. A few Java Fern on the DW with some Java Moss and bits torn from a Moss Ball (Fancy Fantail redecorating lol) stuffed in gaps. Anubias and Anacharis in the background (I like the Anacharis, GF says no :p). Dwarf Hairgrass to the right of the DW. Even dug out a little cave/tunnel under the DW for Elvis to chill out in. Once the fry are grown (or gone) I'll add a small Moss Ball in the front right corner.

Ideas to replace Anacharis (and hide the heater) gratefully welcome.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

Attachments

• 2011-04-01 22.59.02-1.jpg
    2011-04-01 22.59.02-1.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 149
Loving your setup, your a lot quicker than me at setting up lol but work and daughter take up a lot of time for me! Hopefully mine will be ready soon :) oh I got my elite heater too and it is a fine size for the tank

"fish are friends, not food"

M1cky69 said:
Loving your setup, your a lot quicker than me at setting up lol but work and daughter take up a lot of time for me! Hopefully mine will be ready soon :) oh I got my elite heater too and it is a fine size for the tank

Thanks! I had all of it ready so a couple nights working on it and so far, so good.

I was kinda put off by the bulbious top of the elite for such a small tank, so I got the Aqueon Pro 50w. Pics, we're waiting for pics lol.

Haha I know lol, I'm getting impatient too lol, all in good time though :)

I'm learning patience thru my aquariums lol

Thanks Jason! It's coming together.

We got Elvis' entourage today consisting of 7 Cardinal Tetras, we were going for 6, but felt bad leaving 1 loner in the tank. Problem is the person netting them wasn't the best helper in the shop. When we got home, I noticed that 1 was having trouble staying up right/swimming when I put them in their acclimation tub and decided it was best to isolate him. He seems to be doing better, but I'm a bit concerned.

I'm wondering if in an effort to net them, if she might have stunned the 1 tetra, or hurt him? I'm going to keep him isolated for a couple days just in case.

I observed them for a while, before getting them and they all looked fine, energetic and schooling so I don't think it was ill.

Any thoughts, ideas most welcome.

I've been a little disappointed in this shop lately and today when I asked if they had MTS, the owner said "not on purpose" and it was hard to keep from laughing because I was ready to pay for some. He did give me the one he had for free so that's cool, but I'm wondering if I might need to travel a little further from now on.

Now will MTS self multiply, or do I need a mate for it?

Thanks!

Edit: Acclimation of the six-pack in progress. Finally, fishies in the EBI is imminent :D.

Elvis' 6 pack is acclimated and in the tank. Going to let the Cardinals QT and get comfy in the tank for a week before the king makes his big entrance lol.

First pic is the acclimation, 2nd is the tank (with much clearer water) and last, a couple of the groupies lol. Added a classic Ford at the Bday party today :D.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110402_202432.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110402_202432.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 138
  • 2011-04-02 20.04.17-1.jpg
    2011-04-02 20.04.17-1.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 152
  • 2011-04-02 20.07.26-1.jpg
    2011-04-02 20.07.26-1.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 131
Latest pic with Vals replacing Anacharis (GF happy now :)), 6 pack of Cards (my mini nightmare) happy now.

Now I want to figure out how to get a nice moss growing up the textured background that comes in the tank (kit).

Attachments

• 2011-04-03 20.31.40-1.jpg
    2011-04-03 20.31.40-1.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 157
Use some mesh and attach the moss to the mess like I'm doing for my carpet, same principle :)

M1cky69 said:
Use some mesh and attach the moss to the mess like I'm doing for my carpet, same principle :)

I have some (green no less), but I'd like it to grow like ivy does on the side of an old brick building. I may try sticking some java moss on/under it and see if it'll creep up it.

Just a heads up for you, but if you get small fish (tetra for me) they can wedge in between the back of the filter and tank wall and get stuck. I lost 1 to that and found 2 more tonight. I think I solved it and you can find a posting from me called "are tetras suicidal" for the solution I came up with.

Mr. Limpet said:
I have some (green no less), but I'd like it to grow like ivy does on the side of an old brick building. I may try sticking some java moss on/under it and see if it'll creep up it.

Just a heads up for you, but if you get small fish (tetra for me) they can wedge in between the back of the filter and tank wall and get stuck. I lost 1 to that and found 2 more tonight. I think I solved it and you can find a posting from me called "are tetras suicidal" for the solution I came up with.

Haha cool, you could try inserting some moss using tweezers into the foam, once it's got a hold of the background it will surely grow around it!? Just a thought anyway :)

M1cky69 said:
Haha cool, you could try inserting some moss using tweezers into the foam, once it's got a hold of the background it will surely grow around it!? Just a thought anyway :)

Good idea. I'm sure I can find someplace to jam it in. Do you think moss from a marimo ball will work? I really like the look of it and if could grow like I want, I'd be cool looking after a while.

Mr. Limpet said:
Good idea. I'm sure I can find someplace to jam it in. Do you think moss from a marimo ball will work? I really like the look of it and if could grow like I want, I'd be cool looking after a while.

I have a few of them in my community tank and I'm not sure they will, won't willow moss be any good?

M1cky69 said:
I have a few of them in my community tank and I'm not sure they will, won't willow moss be any good?

Maybe, if I could find it here lol.

I may try a few different ones in various spots to see which one looks/grows best.

After fixing the fish killing trap built into my EBI filter, all 6 Cardinal Tetras are doing great. Schooling, jumpy and swimming around lol. I'm going to give it 5 days before I put Elivs in with his groupies, but it looks like everything is gonna work out (we'll see how Elvis does with tankmates lol.

One issue I need to figure out is a cuc, since the Cards don't seem to want to pick the little bits of food off the sand bed. Trying to clean it out everyday is a pain and just makes the Cards jumpier than they are already.

I'm going to get MTS soon (need to order them :(), but what can I get for a surface cuc? Shrimp, FW crabs,? I want to keep the bio load at near zero for the cuc too.

Here is what's what:
6 Cardinal Tetra
1 Betta
8g tank, sand bed and plants

TIA

Mr. Limpet said:
After fixing the fish killing trap built into my EBI filter, all 6 Cardinal Tetras are doing great. Schooling, jumpy and swimming around lol. I'm going to give it 5 days before I put Elivs in with his groupies, but it looks like everything is gonna work out (we'll see how Elvis does with tankmates lol.

One issue I need to figure out is a cuc, since the Cards don't seem to want to pick the little bits of food off the sand bed. Trying to clean it out everyday is a pain and just makes the Cards jumpier than they are already.

I'm going to get MTS soon (need to order them :(), but what can I get for a surface cuc? Shrimp, FW crabs,? I want to keep the bio load at near zero for the cuc too.

Here is what's what:
6 Cardinal Tetra
1 Betta
8g tank, sand bed and plants

TIA

I have 2 amano shrimp and a red claw crab for my clean up crew.

Back
Top Bottom