Community tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishcrazy86

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I’m looking to start up a community tank. My tank is new so I’m letting the cycle finish. I ordered some plants an tho g now I’m thinking of doing Angelfish an maybe some rainbows. Would Rams be ok? What else would be fine with them?

What size ids the tank and what are your tap water parameters -

pH
GH /Hardness
KH /Alkalinity
TDS

Each of the kinds of fish have differing needs.

Rams and Angels would enjoy the warmer temps and lower pH, excellent water quality specifically crucial for the Rams. But Angels need a fairly large tank. They get to the size of a hand and it is best to have plenty of room for them to swim around.

Many of the Rainbows are good with lower pH. Which kinds of Rainbows have you seen that you liked? Not necessarily the warmer water though. Turquoise Rainbows do not like the warmer water. Furcata Rainbows are just on the edge of possibly being a snack size fish when the Angels would be maximum size.

Can't be zero for what I was asking or you'd have distilled water in the tank???!
Not asking about ammonia, nitrite or nitrate.
Gh /hardness
Kh calcium / alkalinity
TDS if you happen to know.
Mainly important as certain fish can't tolerate one extreme or the other.
Rams like softer water and less tds, Gh kh than say, a Goldfish.

Oops sorry!! I’m not sure I’ve just tested for the basics I’m not sure on the others. So are the fish I was asking about pretty fragile then? I’ve even thought about Discus my dad raised them years ago but I know they are even harder. So should I purchase another water tester to test those specific things?

Usually a fish store will test them for you. I would take a sample of water from the tank and a separate one from the tap, that way you can see if there is much difference. pH will usually be different after 24 to 48 hours than right from the tap.

Discus are an advanced to experienced aquarist and are special needs/care/habitat fish to do them justice. Locally raised fish would be a best option as raised in similar water parameters. There is a HUGE difference in properly raised Discus and unknowingly or neglected/poorly raised/cared for fish, even just visually.

Personally I would never recommend them for the average keeper and I LOVE Discus. You kinda have to be in it like 1000%, (yes thousand %). They require much special attention be be excellent like they should be.

As for Rams, the more specially bred/fancy they are the more delicate they are likely to be. Again, home raised and especially locally raised fish would be the best options.

Bolivian Rams would be the least sensitive/delicate - most hardy, from what I understand.

Check into an Aquarium Society meet up near you. Best condensed group of fish loving people and connections to learn and meet hobbyists loving the same kinds of fish you like.

Back
Top Bottom