compact fluorescents for my 10 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sahabo

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I've got an old incandescent hood for a 10 gallon. I'm going to replace the bulbs for compact fluorescent ones. The hood holds two bulbs. If I get two 10w mini compact fluorescent bulbs, is that considered high, medium or low light for plants?

Attachments

• IMG_1482.jpg
    IMG_1482.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 62
low, hard to say, are you talking about these?
Small Aquarium Lighting: Mini Compact Bulbs

those are prob comparable(or slightly better) to my 2x13w spiral bulbs which grows things, but my medium light plants basically just sustain, they dont die and dont really grow. Well they grow its just really slow. Low light stuff will do just fine with that light.

Yes, those are the ones I was thinking about. Hmmm, so maybe if got two 20w instead I could get medium light plants to thrive?

Or how about two of these 15 watt? It has the right spectrum for plants I think...6500K
Enhanced View

Well thats what I was trying to say, those spiral bulbs, which I have and currently use are not as efficient at getting light to your plants as the "U-shaped" bulbs or the tube bulbs.

Also that hood you have, there are a couple versions and some are slightly different. The 15w bulbs will fit, but the 20w may not quite fit, or you prob have to take the metal reflector out to get it to fit.

I dont have any idea what there real equivalence is on those 15w bulbs compared to those u-shaped 10w bulbs?. I just think they will be the same at those 10w from coralife and fit your hood easier.

I can tell you that I did use the 2x20w and also 2x23w bulbs on my 10G. I needed ferts, as my nitrate dropped to 0 and had some algae. So keep that in mind. Mine is not fully stocked, so if your is packed full, then the 2x20 bulbs would prob be OK. I have recently switched back to the 23w bulbs since the algae is gone and everything is stable and well.

So if you have ferts, then you can push the better bulbs and I think this one is going to be the best for restrike and getting light to the plants.
https://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/209773/product.web

Otherwise the next best thing IMO with easy adjustability in mind is using Clip on lights over a open tank. I plan on doing this soon on this tank or a new 20 gallon long.

Hmmm. After some pondering, I think it's best for me to stay low light, low tech for now since I'm a beginner at planted tanks...I don't know enough about ferts and Co2 yet. So I should probably stick with the 2x10w or 15w CFL...I'll try to find the tube or U shaped ones. Thanks so much for your help!

You could definately go upto at least 2x15watt without needing CO2. I believe some have even done 2x20watt without CO2, but not near as universally.

Thanks Joy. I've got some more questions about starting a planted tank...going to post in a new thread :)

Back
Top Bottom