Compatable tank mates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JakeVS

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys, I'm looking for some more fish to put into my heavily planted 20G.

Currently just have ottos and a dwarf gourami. Looking for something that will go well with both as well as add a little more activity to the tank in the daytime. The gourami is pretty laid back, and enjoys sneaking out of the plant cover to surprise you, but will often be hidden.

Any small schooling fish like neons, cardinal, or rummynose tetras would work well as would Harlequin rasboras. One thing tho, since your DG has been king of the tank you will have to be very careful and watch for aggression when adding new tank mates. Feeding the DG at the time you actually add a new school in will help distract him. You could do a nice school of about 12 of the little guys above and it would make a very nice visual impact.

Rummy nose were definitely on my list, but the classic fish keeper in me wants something I haven't seen often. So far the rummy nose are my number one though.

Pretty! I like the threadfins.. but those blue eyes look really pretty.

Well, went in to the store today just to look around, and they just happened to have blue eyes in stock. As soon as I actually saw them I couldn't resist. 12 quarantining, will be added soon.

Lucky find! What male to female ratio did you get? You'll like them as they are cool little fish.

Pictures may have to wait for a few days, but they seem to be quite happy, starting to brighten up again. I'm going to be too busy building the new stand for my 20g!

As promised, PICTURES!!! Unfortunately the DG was quite curious every time the camera came near, so I couldn't get any of the males fully flared up. But here they are! Stand still needs some finishing touches, but it still looks alright, for now that is.

image-968321096.jpg

image-4222141733.jpg

image-3673776618.jpg

image-410547943.jpg

image-2289177172.jpg

That looks great! I love how full it looks. Can't wait till my amazons fill out lile yours has.

Thanks guys! I'm going to be filling in the sides and the top(hinged) with black wood as well, so all you will see when it is done is the tank itself, no filters or lights. And the sword was pretty slow growing until it hit about 9 inches tall, then it kind of exploded. So I hope the best for yours as well!

With the ottos in there it would definitely make me overstocked! But great idea! Maybe I will make some trades in the future. ;)

Finally caught one of the males all prettied up for a lady friend in a video!

image-1938456872.jpg

So right now you have the otos(how many?) the 12 rainbows and the dwarf gourami? Because the Cory's occupy the ground level, I personally think 4 would be ok! Either way great tank!

Back
Top Bottom