Compatibility Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WayBel2004

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was wondering if there was a type of shark that I would be able to put in my 20 gallon high community tank. The tank contains a bristlenose pleco, 2 mickey mouse platys, 1 red platy, 1 dalmation molly, 2 ornate rainbows and a dalmation molly. I also have 2 platy fry.

Any input would be appreciated.

I wouldn't put any of the shark species in a 20 gallon high.

Both the rainbow shark and redtail shark are very territorial and need 55 gallons or more to have the right envirorment for them.

The bigger shark species like the bala shark and the black shark need at least a 100+ gallon tank. (balas will need bigger tanks such as the 200-300 gallons because they are a schooling fish and they get 11-13 inches .

Tyler

Thanks. I'm looking for something different in my tank. Maybe something very colorful, basically something cool to look at and really all I've ever had were mollies, platy's etc. Don't get me wrong I love my fish but just wanted to get something a little different.

I would have to say your tank is stocked at where it is right now, Do you plan on giving the platy fry away?

Tyler

If they survive I plan on keeping them. I have 8 fish now + the babies. I had thought 12 was a good number for my tank provided they weren't big fish.

Yeah, I wouldnt add anymore fish if you are planning on keeping the babies. Why I say this is because Mollies are the biggest of the livebearer species growing up to 4-6 inches and they are also big waste producers.

Another thing is that you have multiple liverbearer species. Do you know what gender each of your platies and mollies are? Mollies are known to be prolific breeders breeding anytime they have, The same goes for platies. As being said you dont get rid of all the babies you get, It will end up giving you a massive overstocked tank.

Tyler

I only have one molly who is a male. The 3 platy's I have are also male. The mother of the platy fry passed away after giving birth. The ornate rainbows are both male and the swordtail is a male. So I don't anticipate anymore babies. So I thought that 2 more fish would be alright.

Hmm, With all those males, You should soon to get aggression. There can be chasing and nipping from other males and cause stress on others.

Tyler

This is my first tank and I didn't think to look closely at whether the LFS was giving me males or females. So I ended up with all of the males and only 2 females. The 2 females passed away probably because the males chased them all day.

I now know how to tell the difference between the sexes and won't let that happen again. I'm keeping an eye on them and haven't seen any problems yet. Thanks for taking the time to respond and explain everything to me. I'm going to wait to see what happens with the fry and go from there.

Back
Top Bottom