Compatibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have an adult emperor angle, will he be a risk to a clean up crew?

Depends on what kind of clean up crew you have. Imperators will eat non cleaner species of shrimps but will have problems with hermit crabs so they usually leave them alone. They don't usually eat starfish or cucumbers but will eat benthic inverts like sponges, sea squirts, worms and bivalves.
Don't mean to be confusing but "clean up crew" is too generic. If you want filter feeders, they would be better in a sump or a protected area of the tank vs in with the Angel. If you want algae eaters, hermit crabs are a better choice than shrimps. If you wanted aiptasia reducers, I'd go with fish over seas slugs.
Hope this is some help. (y)

Thanks for your reply.
I currently don’t have a clean up crew, I’m thinking along the lines of hermit crabs/snails/star fish/sea urchins. What do you recommend regarding these?

Thanks for your reply.
I currently don’t have a clean up crew, I’m thinking along the lines of hermit crabs/snails/star fish/sea urchins. What do you recommend regarding these?

If you are looking for a cleaning crew for detritus and excess food, I'd suggest hermit crabs and/or starfish. If you have sand, sea cucumbers will also work. If you are looking for algae control, I'd suggest urchins and/or astrea (turbo) type snails. If you can get blue leg or red leg hermit crabs that are in shells larger than the Angel's mouth, these are also good algae eaters and detritus feeders. Small ones that can fit in it's mouth might be harassed to death. :(

Back
Top Bottom