Compatibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Islandgirl82

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just wondering if anyone has ever kept hatchetfish with angelfish? I think they compliment each other very well, and would like to try them. Do the hatchetfish need any special requirements? Would a school be o.k. in my tank? Thanks for any help! :wink:

29 Gal cycled
Temp 80
Amm. - 0
NitirItes- 0
Nitrates 10
P.H. - 7.5
Filter- Aquaclear 70
Sand Substrate w/ live plants

Welcome to Aquarium Advice, Islandgirl82! :mrgreen:

I think hatchets would be fine with angels, provided the hatchets were not wee tiny when you get them. They do jump so you will need to be sure the tank is securely covered.

Whether or not you could add a school of them would depend greatly on what other fish you have, and how many of them.

Sorry, newbie mistake!!

In the 29 gal:
2 Angels
1 Rainbow Shark ( might be on his way out soon if he gets anymore aggressive)
That's It!

Thanks!

I think a school of hatchets would be great in there, and I do think the rainbow is going to need to go, unfortunately.

You could also get 4-6 cory cats for the bottom and you'll have it covered :D

I thought so. My husband picked the rainbow shark out before I had the chance to research. I freaked when I read how big they get! Are there any small loaches that would like sand? I would love to see somebody down digging in the sand! I like cories, too. Tough decision!

Horseface loaches love to burry in the sand. And they are cute too. :D

*edit
I might have spoken to soon. They may be to large for your tank.

How about some kuhlii's?

I perosnally think get rid of the red tailed sharkm ''

get 3 Zebra Loaches, and some hacthets and u will have a really neat 29gal. and

Welcome To AA :n00b: :n00b: :multi: :multi: :multi: :multi: :n00b: :multi: :multi:

The rainbow shark will be making his exit this Sunday- my lfs is actually going to take him in for me, even though I (stupidly) bought him at the Petsupermarket. The khulis are pretty cool, are they active in the day or night? I think if my lfs has some I will check them out, would 3-4 be okay? I'm so happy, I had a rough time getting this tank set up and ready, and then trouble with the impulse fish buying. I think everything will be great now, I will have my angels, hatchetfish, and khulis (if available), sounds good to me! If there aren't any khulis are any botia small enough for a 29? Thanks everyone!

Kuhlii's are really cool but, actually kinda shy. They like to stay in the substrate or under decorations. Mine do come out at feeding time though. They love shrimp pellets. But, for the most part, they are nocturnal. There are some botias small enough. The skunk's and yoyo's come to mind. I'm sure there are plenty of others as well, these are just what are common to me. Good luck. :D

P.S. I think we are all guilty of impulse buying at some point. I still do it. :oops:

Back
Top Bottom