Compatibly With Different Fish For Different Tanks!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishy Aston

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello

I need some experience of some different types of fish which i am looking to get.
So the experiences of what you had if you have kept any of these fish!
I will share all the information I know about my tanks to the best of my ability I will also upload some pictures so you can image it in your head!

I feed both fish in both tanks a variety of packet food such as Graunels , Flake and pleco waffers. I feed them frozen bloodworm/brime once a week as a treat!

The Smaller Fish Tank has been set up since 3rd March and is fully cycled.

I have just tested the water with a "Api Testing Kit"

Ph - 7.4
Nitrite - 0.5 PPM
Nitrate - 10 PPM
Ammonia - 0.10 PPM

It currently has:

1 Bristle Nose Pleco
1 Dwarf Pleco
2 Albino Corydoras
5 Neon Tetra's

In due time I want to have all of these fish in the tank:

Dwarf Pleco x1
Bristle Nose Pleco x1
Neon Tetras x5
Apple Golden Snail x2
Red Platys x2
Albino Corydoras x5
Golden Barb x2
Guppies x5
African Dwarf Frog x2

This is the size of the tank , I am sorry but I do not know how many gallons it holds! :hide:

(Pictures Should Be At The Bottom Of The Screen)

The Bigger Fish Tank Was Only Set Up On The 31st March 2012
I have done a fish in cycle with 2 Silver Dollars and a Clown Loach from my other tank.

Ph - 7.4
Nitrite - 2.0 PPM
Nitrate - 90 PPM
Ammonia - 0 PPM

It currently has:

2 Silver Dollars
1 Clown Loach

Silver Molly's x3 ( 3 Female )
Silver Dollars x2
Clown Loaches x2
Rummy Nose Tetra x3
Butterfly Pleco x1
Flying Fox x1
Royal Pleco x1
Angelfish x2 – Small

This is the size of the tank , I am sorry but all I know is that it holds 100 Litres , I think :ermm:

I think I have provided all the information required
And
Look forward to seeing all your responses. :thanks:

*Edit*

If I did re-home my precious "Silver Dollars" For Head & Tail Tetras would they be eaten by the Angelfish?
The angelfish I am buying will be small but still they eat the Tetras? Will they Eat Rummynose Tetras too?

Thanks , Sorry for another question!

Aston.

*Edit*

I have carried out some Water tests and here are the results.
-Please See Page 2 Where I Have Posted Pictures Of The Results-

Thanks and some more advice would be great!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 103
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 96
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 100
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Fishy Aston said:
Hello

I need some experience of some different types of fish which i am looking to get.
So the experiences of what you had if you have kept any of these fish!
I will share all the information I know about my tanks to the best of my ability I will also upload some pictures so you can image it in your head!

I feed both fish in both tanks a variety of packet food such as Graunels , Flake and pleco waffers. I feed them frozen bloodworm/brime once a week as a treat!

The Smaller Fish Tank has been set up since 3rd March and is fully cycled.

Ph - 7.4
Nitrite - 0.5 PPM
Nitrate - 10 PPM
Ammonia - 0.10 PPM

It currently has:

1 Bristle Nose Pleco
1 Dwarf Pleco
2 Albino Corydoras
5 Neon Tetra's

Dwarf Pleco x1
Bristle Nose Pleco x1
Neon Tetras x5
Apple Golden Snail x2
Red Platys x2
Albino Corydoras x5
Golden Barb x2
Guppies x5
African Dwarf Frog x2

This is the size of the tank , I am sorry but I do not know how many gallons it holds! :hide:

(Pictures Should Be At The Bottom Of The Screen)

The Bigger Fish Tank Was Only Set Up On The 31st March 2012
I have done a fish in cycle with 2 Silver Dollars and a Clown Loach from my other tank.

Ph - 7.4
Nitrite - 2.0 PPM
Nitrate - 90 PPM
Ammonia - 0 PPM

It currently has:

2 Silver Dollars
1 Clown Loach

Silver Molly's x3 ( 3 Female )
Silver Dollars x2
Clown Loaches x2
Rummy Nose Tetra x3
Butterfly Pleco x1
Flying Fox x1
Royal Pleco x1
Angelfish x2 – Small

This is the size of the tank , I am sorry but all I know is that it holds 100 Litres , I think :ermm:

I think I have provided all the information required
And
Look forward to seeing all your responses. :thanks:

I'm sorry but neither of your tanks are cycled as you still have high nitrites also both your tanks are already overstocked so I wouldn't add any more fish

I'm sorry but neither of your tanks are cycled as you still have high nitrites also both your tanks are already overstocked so I wouldn't add any more fish

Are already overstocked? :confused:

The bigger fish tank only has 2 silver dollars and 1 clown loach! :eek:

The only fish I have kept that you intend to keep are platys and they are very peaceful fish. They keep to themselves but can reproduce like crazy if you keep both males and females.
You say your tanks are fully cycled, but fully cycled tanks should not have ammonia or nitrite at all. Both are toxic to fish. Ideally, they should both be at 0 ppm. You said you set up your large tank yesterday. For a tank to fully cycle it takes weeks. I don't have any links for cycling, but I'm sure someone else can post some. I would not add any fish to you tanks until they are indeed fully cycled with readings of 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites. Nitrates are recommended to be below 20 ppm also.

I would agree with the overstocking. The fish you have need large tanks. Hopefully someone with more experience will chip in soon

The only fish I have kept that you intend to keep are platys and they are very peaceful fish. They keep to themselves but can reproduce like crazy if you keep both males and females.
You say your tanks are fully cycled, but fully cycled tanks should not have ammonia or nitrite at all. Both are toxic to fish. Ideally, they should both be at 0 ppm. You said you set up your large tank yesterday. For a tank to fully cycle it takes weeks. I don't have any links for cycling, but I'm sure someone else can post some. I would not add any fish to you tanks until they are indeed fully cycled with readings of 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites. Nitrates are recommended to be below 20 ppm also.

Thanks for your reply! :thanks:

I would agree with the overstocking. The fish you have need large tanks. Hopefully someone with more experience will chip in soon

What fish do you think could I keep?

Maybe colour the ones i could keep and a different Colour for the ones i couldnt keep.

Thanks for viewing this thread and replying!

You could prob keep the neons, cories, and platys. I wouldn't do clown loaches, angels, or plecos depending on the type. It also depends on the volume of your tanks though.

They are only small Silver Dollars and a clown loach!

In the tank they are in now they have a unbelievable about of space to swim around!

I am not trying to argue but I just think it is madness...!

Your Molly's tetras and corys should be fine. I know they are small now but from what I've read dollars get HUGE and need loads of space.

People here will give you the best advice for the fish. Sometimes it's hard hearing it but they really do know their stuff :)

The 100L tank is indeed overstocked. The silver dollars should grow to around 6" and the clown loach may grow as large as 12". Both are schooling fish and should be kept with at the very least 5 of their own kind. My advice is to re-home those fish. You might consider head & tail light tetras as a substitute for the silver dollars and tiger barbs for the loaches. These are still schooling fish but are much smaller as adults with similar coloration.

When the fish get to a big enough size and they seem to not have enough room to swim in then I make the decision to go the fish store and trade them in for something else! The are only very very small and a Molly is about the same size as them at the moment! Lol but as they get bigger , I will rehome them!

As far as figuring volume, length x width x depth in inches divided by 231 will give you gallons. If I remember my math and the metric system correctly, length x width x depth in cm divided by 1000 will give you liters.

Wow Clever

I am too dumb to even understand

I am 13 years old! Getting there though.

Will an Angelfish eat Tetras?

I only just realised this

The angelfish I wil be getting will be small so hmmmm

Fishy Aston said:
Will an Angelfish eat Tetras?

I only just realised this

The angelfish I wil be getting will be small so hmmmm

Yes a big angelfish can/will eat small tetras such as neons and cardinals. Small angels probably won't be able to, but once they get bigger there is a chance that small tetras will be eaten.

Yes a big angelfish can/will eat small tetras such as neons and cardinals. Small angels probably won't be able to, but once they get bigger there is a chance that small tetras will be eaten.

So I cant replace Silver Dollars with Head & Tail Tetras

And Torpedo Barbs for RummyNose Tetras. :(

Results From Water Testing Kit.

The one which is worser has darker colours are the smaller fish tank!

Fishy Aston said:
So I cant replace Silver Dollars with Head & Tail Tetras

And Torpedo Barbs for RummyNose Tetras. :(

No those substitutes would probably work. I mean small tetras like neons and cardinals would get eaten. Just be careful with the Rummynose tetras- they are very sensitive to water conditions.

Back
Top Bottom