Comprehensive List Of Plant Profiles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Common Name: Amazon Sword
Scientific Name: Echinodorus Amazonicus
Category: Echinodorus
Temperature: 68 - 82.4F(20 - 28C)
pH: 6 - 7.6
Lighting: Medium, High
Growth Rate: Slow, Medium
Difficulty: Medium
Origin: Brazil
Position in Aquascape: Background
will this survive in low light?

My brother has a couple of amazon swords in his tank under the light that came with the tank. Growth is really slow. 1-2 new leaves are growing every 2 weeks. Leaves are not getting that long but plants are still alive. No root tabs either. Try using root tabs with low-light and you might get a different result. If you want fast growth, medium-high light is ideal.

Vesuvius is a mutation of E. angustifolia. You make it sound like they are one and the same plant. This is not the case. Vesuvius has curled and twisted leaves while normal angustifolia is a straight leaf with no curl or twist what so ever. The mutation was discovered by Oriental Aquarium of Singapore, and their distributor in Europe came up with the name Vesuvius because the curled leaves reminded him of smoke coming from the volcano Mt Vesuvius. Vesuvius was a man made accidental mutation and has NEVER been found growing wild in Brazil or anywhere else in the world.

So you can see you description is a bit misleading and confusing to people. :(

All the information that I provided in this thread came from different sources. I've had edited some of the profiles that I was told that had some wrong information and they provided the right info. If you read the last parts of this thread you will see some of the corrections. I gladly accept any corrections. All I want is to provide good information to other members. Thank you for the information that you provided.

Last edited:
Hi Roydooms,

I was enjoying your list and posting of all the plants with photos.

I saw your Christmas Moss and wondered if you had any feedback for me.

I have a 29 gal. with injected CO2, (4) T5 lamps 24 watts with great filtration and dosing ferts based on Seachem matrix.

My moss grows and stays green at the tips, but the bulk of the plant is brown. What am I missing? Are any of my fish eating away at the moss? I want it to look like the photo above. I see it is difficult to grow? Everyone told me it is easy like Java Moss. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Mr. Breeze

img_1747623_0_e945f55678704a6a7624c7fd890eb0a9.jpg

is there any way you can identify this plant for me I thought it was wisteria at the store but everywhere I look on the internet it isn't wisteria please help its driving me nuts lol

Thank you for this! I was able to ID my hitchhiker as Christmas Moss! Also I decided I want star moss!

GodFan said:
Thank you for this! I was able to ID my hitchhiker as Christmas Moss! Also I decided I want star moss!

You are welcome :D

Unfortunately, Star moss is not a true aquatic moss.

oh well thanks for that. At least I have a list of plants with pictures! And I IDed my Christmas Moss!

I couldn't have found this thread at a better time. Any suggestions for plants that will gobble up nitrates faster than others? Thank you for all the time and energy you put into this thread :) Makes this beginners job MUCH easier!

Mlani said:
I couldn't have found this thread at a better time. Any suggestions for plants that will gobble up nitrates faster than others? Thank you for all the time and energy you put into this thread :) Makes this beginners job MUCH easier!

I PM'd you.

Do you know anything about the "umbrella plant" I think it was called I got it from petco along with a sword for my cichlid tank the sword looks good but the other one I didn't see the amount of brown all the green leaves were hiding and it looks like its getting worse ill post a pic when I get home tonight

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130206_215226.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130206_215226.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 245
  • ForumRunner_20130206_220830.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130206_220830.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 237
  • ForumRunner_20130206_222310.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130206_222310.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 248
Umbrella plant= CYPERUS Alternifolius Papyrus Grass , a terrairium plant. Will not live in the aquarium

Back
Top Bottom