Concern about my cichlid fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishguy1997

Aquarium Advice Freak
My electric yellow cichlid fry are now 5 days old tomorrow and they still don't have yellow coloration is this bad I'm getting a heater for there tank this week should there color start to show up then? Other than them being gray they are swimming around occasionally nipping each other. So is this normal? Thanks in advanced

my electric yellows were pretty much yellow from the start. they do get a "nicer" shade of yellow (color up) as they start eating the fry food.

Cichlid fry is supposed to be gray, it's a defense mechanism so they can better hide. Once they get to a size where they can begin to hold their ow with adults they will color up. So this is normal, no worries!!

Reactions: HN1
Thanks so much I was really getting worried and is it bad if I havent had a heater for them all week? But they have been in the temperature since relase. I was also wondering if it is bad that I caught her and she started spitting the fry out in a separate tank not the main one? And will she have fry again?

Cichlid fry is supposed to be gray, it's a defense mechanism so they can better hide. Once they get to a size where they can begin to hold their ow with adults they will color up. So this is normal, no worries!!

I'm curious as I've never heard this before. Can you provide a source for this piece of information?

Thanks so much I was really getting worried and is it bad if I havent had a heater for them all week? But they have been in the temperature since relase. I was also wondering if it is bad that I caught her and she started spitting the fry out in a separate tank not the main one? And will she have fry again?

My electric yellows are yellow (albiet pale) from they day they are released, and I don't have heaters in any of my tanks. Heat has nothing to do with color in electric yellows, and size has very little to do with it. The dominate males will take on more black coloration once they reach breeding size. If she released early because you were moving her, that may be an issue. As far as will she have fry again, so long as conditions in her DT are favorable she will breed again.

My labs were pale yellow from release. I don't have heaters in all my fry tanks, just every other tank. Is there a chance they could be hybrids with something else?

Ukdans1k said:
My labs were pale yellow from release. I don't have heaters in all my fry tanks, just every other tank. Is there a chance they could be hybrids with something else?

I am also thinking that hybridisation may have occurred.I've had several batches of yellow lab fry and they have always been a pale yellow colour right from the moment of spitting.

I do have a peacock could they have cross breeded cause the peacock and the female are ALWAYS together

Oh ok..... The fish seemed to be swimming around today resting on the plant leaves and stuff I'll post a picture as soon as possible

Haha..... These are my first fish fry of any kind so im just over worried I guess

My electric yellow cichlid fry are now a week old so can I move them to a 5 gallon tank with gravel and fake plants are should I leave them in what there in till they get bigger

Back
Top Bottom